FORUMS: list search recent posts

Headphones with camera

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Niedenthal
Headphones with camera
on Aug 5, 2013 at 7:31:56 pm

I use a Panasonic HPX 170 camera. Someone gave me some Studio Beats headphones, so I used them to plug into the camera on my last shoot to monitor the sound (using Sennheisser ew100 G3 wireless mic). I noticed when I got back after the shoot that there had been some wind noise I was not hearing with the headphones on. This may sound like an incredibly stupid question (it wouldn't be my first), but would the noise canceling aspect of the Beats cancel out some of the wind noise so I wouldn't hear it? These headphones are full, over the ear headphones that use batteries (meaning you have to turn them on to use them). Am I better off using headphones that don't need to be turned on?

Moreover, if you use headphones with a camera, what kind do you use?

Jack Niedenthal
Microwave Films of the Marshall Islands
http://www.microwavefilms.org
http://www.microwavefilms.org/Crickets.html
iMac i7 using Mountain Lion 10.8.x, HPX 170 using only one 64GB card
I live on an island in the middle of the Pacific, YOU are my only resource.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Headphones with camera
on Aug 5, 2013 at 7:50:31 pm

Short answer is do not use noise cancelling head phones, now you know why. See if you can get a pair of Sony 7506 headphones to monitor the audio from the camera. You'll hear everything you're supposed to.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 6, 2013 at 12:55:08 am

Hello Jack and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Yes.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Sony MDR7506.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

eugene sarigumba
on Feb 9, 2014 at 5:45:06 am

Hello,
I'm also in the market of getting new headphones...looking at the ATH-ANC9 headphones. I'm confused about the noise cancellation aspect. Isn't noise cancellation desired so that you can hear only what's coming thru the microphone...including wind noise? In a previous experience, my mic picked up a "thumping noise", I think from the mic wire bumping against something, even though I thought I had the wire wrapped around the boom pole pretty good. I believe that because I was hearing so much ambient noise, I couldn't hear the "thumps" that the mic was recording. Hope I'm making sense, and that anyone can clarify what to look for in headphones for on-location audio monitoring.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 9, 2014 at 1:35:06 pm

Hello Eugene and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

No. Noise canceling headphones are designed to reduce your awareness of ambient noise around you.

That's precisely what you don't want. They are not taking the noise out of your audio, just out of your headphone feed. Plus they do so by using phase cancellation and that will prevent you from hearing real phase cancellation cause by reflected and direct sounds mixing before they get to your mic or phase cancellation cause by two people talking into their own mics who are standing too close together.

Repeat: Just say NO to noise canceling headphones!!!!

Now, if you want isolation so you can better hear what the mic is hearing instead of what's leaking in around your headphones, get closed back phones or David Clark PASSIVE noise ATTENUATING headphones. Active will only get you into trouble.

http://www.davidclarkcompany.com/aviation/helicopter-passive.php

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]