FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to secure 3.5mm cables?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Jones
Best way to secure 3.5mm cables?
on Aug 3, 2013 at 4:03:31 pm

I shoot primarily with a Nikon D800 DSLR. I have a Shure FP33 that has two 3.5mm jacks for stereo Tape Out and Monitor In. I use the XLR outs to record to a Tascam DR-40. The 3.5mm Tape Out feeds the D800 audio in, and the D800's headphone output feeds back to the FP33 3.5mm Monitor In. Amazingly, I get a very clean audio recording on the D800. So good that I rarely ever feel the need to use the recording from the DR-40. That's the system overview, but here's my question:

Does anyone know of a good way to secure the 3.5mm cables into the mixer and camera? I never seem to have a problem with the cables slipping out on the camera end, but the 3.5mm cables pull out of the FP33 mixer all the time.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Best way to secure 3.5mm cables?
on Aug 3, 2013 at 4:39:43 pm

Hello Ken and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Well, plugs and jacks do have standards, but I have seen one a bit bigger or smaller.

Question is, is it the FP33 jack being slightly too big or the plug being slightly too small......

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Aug 3, 2013 at 4:51:26 pm

Thanks for the quick response Ty.

My initial thought is that the FP33 jacks are too large. I have tried other brands of 3.5mm plugs and they all slip out just as easily. Do 3.5mm jacks have a "retaining spring" like 1/4" jacks do? I wonder if there is way to open up the FP33 and tighten the 3.5mm jacks?

I was also hoping that maybe somebody knew of some kind of external clip that could be used to clamp the 3.5mm plugs tight in the jacks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 3, 2013 at 6:29:40 pm

You might try to contact Shure customer service.

http://www.shure.com/americas/support/service-repair

I've found them to be very accommodating over the years. Or, if you're handy popping the hood, go on in for a peek.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Aug 3, 2013 at 6:46:27 pm

Thanks Ty. I just sent them an email. I'm thinking that maybe a particular brand of plug might fit tighter. I will see what they say.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 3, 2013 at 7:50:26 pm

You might try a mini-plug extender. Not only have they solved that problem for me but it made it easier to plug in and out because it's off the device and takes some of the pressure off the plug, particularly if you velcro or gaffer tape it to a strap or whatever. It does however add another connection to the chain and any of them can cause a problem. Make sure that the plug has the right number of bands around the connection that matches the others. You know, mono vs stereo.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 3, 2013 at 7:54:22 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Female-Stereo-Reinforced-Premium-Quality/dp/B004LGRKZ...

something like this. Ty will chime in if I'm wrong. In which case ... never mind.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Aug 3, 2013 at 8:42:42 pm

I hadn't thought about using a short M/F extension cable. That might actually do the trick. I could tie off the female ends to the PortaBrace mixer bag as a strain relief and then shouldn't have to worry about the cable getting pulled out of the side of the mixer. My only concern is that adding more cables adds another connection point that could cause a problem.

I am going to wait for a reply from Shure to see if they recommend a brand of plug that has a tighter fit. If they do, I will probably have a custom cable made that has a pair of 3.5mm male plugs at each end.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 4, 2013 at 4:27:35 am

Or just buy some right angle adaptors like the Calrad 35-484-A Right Angle 3.5mm Stereo Male to Female and use them in conjunction with the judicious application of gaffers tape.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]