FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound effects are now being digitally fingerprinted

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Kuran
Sound effects are now being digitally fingerprinted
on Jul 30, 2013 at 2:56:55 am

If you ever post your projects on Youtube for advertising income, be aware that The Hollywood Edge is now digitally fingerprinting their sound effects. What does this mean?
Digital Fingerprinting is a way of identifying your content, for instance, if you upload images or music that doesn't belong to you, various companies can identify that music or image and claim the advertising income away from you. And if you are lifting music or images, this is a way that the legitimate owner can find and claim that which was taken from them.
It has gotten out of control. This is the latest chapter. I found 2 of my videos were being claimed on behalf of Hollywood Edge by AdRev because I used a sound effect! A sound effect which I thought I had the use of when I bought the library package back in 1999. After all, that is why you buy a sound effects library right? Well I guess if you buy the Hollywood Edge sound effects library, it is so they can claim the rights of your work in the digital environment. This is important even if you don't post your work on Youtube for income because this is how the digital rights environment is going to operate in the future. Any new suggestions for a sound effects library I can use in the future without them taking my income?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Sound effects are now being digitally fingerprinted
on Jul 31, 2013 at 2:33:34 am

Here's the only way I know of to do this.

First. learn the basics of how metadata works in the modern world.

Second, assume that such metadata will be used for ID tracking will henceforth be enabled in EVERYTHING you ever use for the rest of your life.

Third, avoid problems by moving away from all sources of creative content that you don't get from sources where there is a CLEAR rights management system in place and that you've taken the time to properly license for the modern era!

I own probably a dozen older sound effects and clip art and music libraries. I don't use any of them anymore.

Instead EVERYTIIME I have to create something new - I go to legitimate sites and PAY for my production elements on demand. Heck a great piece of properly licensed music can almost always be had for anywhere from $3 and maybe 50 bucks.

The world has changed, as you've noticed. When apps like Shazamm can "listen" to practically any song with a microphone and in seconds match it to a database - things do NOT work like they used to anymore.

So we have to change accordingly.

Yes, I've lost the ability to continue to use some stuff I bought more than 10 years ago.

But I have to suck it up and deal with it.

Because this isn't my hobby. It's my living. And clear rights to the building blocks I use for my content is VERY important to me.

You do that, and you're pretty safe from the kind of inconvenience you note in your post. You don't, and you're not.

It's a drag, but it's not 1999 anymore. The system has changed.

My 2 cents, anyway.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 31, 2013 at 7:00:04 pm

Hello Peter and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Just heard back from John Moran at the Hollywood Edge. Apparently, all is now well. Here is his comment back to my email.

-----------

"You have a license with us, so it is not an issue. There have been so many illegal downloads of Music and Sound Effects on Torrent sites that we are following up on it to try to keep the cost down of our products. The person who posted that site was a client and his content was put back up on You Tube after we saw that.

Thanks, for contacting us and let me know if you have any other concerns.

Best regards,

John Moran
Managing Director
Hollywood Edge
7080 Hollywood Blvd
Hollywood, CA 90028
(323) 603-3253 direct
(323) 363-4740 cell
(323) 603-3298 fax
e-mail: jmoran@hollywoodedge.com

--------------------

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 1, 2013 at 9:19:14 pm

This is a potentially interesting one. My Hollywood edge and sound ideas libraries weren't bought by me but were part of a studio take over / buy out. I'm pretty sure our studio wouldn't show up as a " client" yet we did buy legit !!!!
I can only wait for the argument
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 1, 2013 at 9:39:07 pm

Peter,

I have had several cordial conversations with John to find out what's going on and, in fact, found that I was a registered user from some transaction in 1995. I don't even know what it might have been.

Perhaps you should reach out to him and find out where you are.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 2, 2013 at 3:25:29 am

Appropos of nothing.

I once went to an auction for a local studio that had shut down.

One of the auction items were about 200 CDs from one of the very popular "yearly lease" licensed music libraries.

I mentioned to a couple of people that I was pretty sure that buying the discs was NOT the same as buying the rights to the music - but I think it fell on deaf ears.

I suspect that whoever bought that lot thought that having physical possession of the discs was exactly the same as "owning" the rights to use the music.

And so it goes.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]