FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need suggestions fr new field recorder with line-level input under $150.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sam matt
Need suggestions fr new field recorder with line-level input under $150.
on Jul 28, 2013 at 10:15:01 am

I had a zoom h1 previously. It no longer works and doesn't boot at all.

I had one main issue with the zoom h1 :
It could never take in line-level input from mixer (Rca tape out ports). The signal was always too hot for it and it use to always record distorted audio even though the digital meters showed that the audio was well in the acceptable range.

So i want the new recorder to take line-level input and even work well with hot signal from the mixer board. I do not want to use a attenuator or any other device in between.

I did some research and found tascam dr-2d which has line input and mic input as seperate ports and from the specifictaions it looks like the line input port will be able to deal with hotter signals compared to the mic input.

The dr-2d is about $170, i want to know if there are any other cheaper options avaialble for less which have a dedicated line-level input port.

All replies will be appreciated, thank!

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Need suggestions fr new field recorder with line-level input under $150.
on Jul 28, 2013 at 4:56:09 pm

And you're asking this on a 'Professional' audio forum?
We audio record as a profession not a hobby......

You can now probably understand with the failure of your recorder why professionals won't touch them seriously.

'Line Level' are you referring to domestic line level or professional line level.... there is quite a lot of difference.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Need suggestions fr new field recorder with line-level input under $150.
on Jul 29, 2013 at 10:08:15 am

Hi
I dont know the zoom device youre talking about but if the meters said the input was good,what did your ears say. Cances are you were overloading the input electronics. could you not drop the input gains down. On my Zoom H4n i have to drop the input gains to 0.7 to get a correct level from a -18dbfs reference tone at line level.
Theres prob nothing wrong with it at all. id play with it some more.
Whatever way id not expect to get much / anything better for under £100.

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]