FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do they do it?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
How do they do it?
on Jul 28, 2013 at 1:59:32 am

I've worked with audio enough to know how challenging it can be. I've had to edit a talk show where the host overpowered the guest and seen the wav files, heard reflections, noise cancellation, CLOTHES RUBBING, etc I'm not an expert, however.

I've been watching a series of television live action drama for the sole purpose of studying the audio.

There are many scenes where you can see there is no way to mic the dialogue with a mic on a boom. Then you see closeups and the sound is consistent.

How do all these cop and detective shows mic the actors? (In alleys, buildings, out on the busy streets)

I have never been on a high end TV shoot.

So I can see only two choices: wireless lavs or dialogue replacement.

HOW DO THEY DO IT?

I'm starting a live action series that requires this kind of flexibility and diverse locations.

I'd like to hear from those with TRUE professional experience.

Thanks

Larry

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: How do they do it?
on Jul 28, 2013 at 8:17:08 am

I can't tell you that they have brilliant different micing techniques , but I can tell you that a LOT of the dialogue is re recorded or ADR'd in the studio. Indeed I have spent the last week doing little else.
It's trick and time consuming but happens a lot.

Also they do use personals and boom multi tracked but often a scene will be shot 1st wide but then again and again picking up singles and 2 shots. Clearly The boom can get in much tighter on the singles etc and this audio will usually be used over the wider material as actors at that level ought to be pretty consistent.

If you are going into a project where you may need to ADR, I strongly recommend you check out
Revoice pro software. A brill ADR audio tool.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]