FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom and Sennheiser ME66 omni

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Fearon
Zoom and Sennheiser ME66 omni
on Jul 22, 2013 at 8:50:47 pm

Hi all,

I've been asked to quote for an audio recording of a roundtable meeting. I've got a Zoom H4 and a Sennheiser ME66 omni. Would you recommend hooking the Sennheiser up to the Zoom to capture good room audio or just use the Zoom's native mic. I was going to use a simple (but clear) Olympus digital audio recorder as a back-up and then maybe overlay both sources in Adobe Audition. Would I get any advantage to doing that?

Also, what should I quote for this job? It might only be 40 mins to an hour, then obviously any cleaning up on the Mac.

Your considerable knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Robin.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Zoom and Sennheiser ME66 omni
on Jul 23, 2013 at 3:42:26 am

As a rough guide for recording speech, the microphone should be about 500mm from the mouth (approximate)
So if the meeting of 4 people on a 1m square table your mic suggestion would be fine...... BUT if its more than that you are a long way from doing the job properly.

Questions that need to be asked....
How many people?
What size table?
What size room?
Is any person going to stand up to talk?
Is there any 'whiteboard' or 'screen' / computer presentations?
What audio quality is required?
How is the recording to be used, just a record for the file or a release copy to shareholders?
Are you going to 'mix it'? 'Auto mix' it? wild record multi track it?
What level of post production is needed?

Before you even think about quoting a price find out what they want, what quality they need / expect.

Another question you need to ask yourself, why are they wanting you to record the meeting? If it is as simple as putting a hand held recorder on the table don't you think they would already be doing that?..... And if they are doing it they are obviously NOT happy with the results!!!

Return to posts index

Robin Fearon
on Jul 23, 2013 at 9:15:21 pm

I was thinking about using the Sennheiser as a boom mic and having the back-up recorder as just that, another source in the room, and amalgamating the two tracks (if this is a bad suggestion I would appreciate your opinion). There is no problem with recording that I'm aware of, they have just asked to have it recorded clearly. I know nothing of room dimensions, but as I understand it a roundtable discussion means that they will be sat at a single table. I was not going to run it through a mixing desk, but I could as I have access to one.

I have found that people are not always aware of what options are available to them and, even if they are, they do not have recording equipment of sufficient quality to get adequate results. I will ask for more information, but that's what I have at the minute.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 23, 2013 at 11:20:13 am

Hello Robin and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

So much depends on how big the table is, how live the room is and how much hand thumping is done on the table.

Usually the more people, the more thumping, but not always. How many people, how big's the table, what;s the room like?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader.

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]