FORUMS: list search recent posts

guerilla kit set- hand needed with narrowing choice for mixer and recorder

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Piotr Krawczuk
guerilla kit set- hand needed with narrowing choice for mixer and recorder
on Jul 10, 2013 at 8:58:36 pm

Hi!

I have been looking around through various sources for those information but I think I would do with little help from you guys as this is such a complex task.
I'm trying to build beginner set which I would use for learning and getting first amateur/semi pro jobs. To explain what I'am after I would like to use analogy from photo equipment. If SD 302 = Canon 5D m3 then I'm after mixer = Panasonic GH2 u know what I mean?

I'm planning to get full set of mics, transmitters, boom pole to be as versatile as possible however I did not research those yet and want to concentrate on mixer and recorder as I see it as a core.

-One of my main question is how often realistically I will be require to use mixer with more then 3 inputs?
-I was looking at hybrid device Fostex DC-R302 do you think this is good option or will it limit versatility somehow (as it looks like it's design for "one man band")
-Azden has most reasonable prices but it's difficult to find people who has something good to say about it. Any comments on that?

As for recorders minding all above would you go for Zoom H4N or Tascam DR-100 mk2 or something else?

Where is a good place to buy this kind second hand equipment in UK as ebay.co.uk definitely don't offer a lot.

Any other comments, advices highly appreciated.
Thanks
Piotr

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: guerilla kit set- hand needed with narrowing choice for mixer and recorder
on Jul 11, 2013 at 5:01:20 am

It all depends on the work you intend to do.....And do you want to earn an income?
News work would be OK with a 3 channel, 2x radio mics, boom & Mic, reporter hand mic, breakaway cable, camera links? (but these days rarely use a sound person)

Current Affairs go with 4 channel mixer, 3 radio mics, boom & Mic, breakaway cable.
Both of those situations it would be rare to need or use a recorder.

SNG / ENG add in some 'in ear monitoring' (comtek etc)

Also note for the above that most TV networks tend to use their own crews and rarely use freelancers.

TV commercial production probably 2x high quality radio mics, boom & Mic with C-stand, recorder (with timecode).

Reality TV multi track recorder (with 6-8 tracks & timecode), lots of radio mics, boom and mic, camera links?

Documentary / Industrial a basic news kit would be OK add a recorder if the camera being used is DSLR.

Student films, Cheap mixer, cheap boom and mic, a couple of cheap radio mics and a cheap recorder. BUT it will be unlikely you will ever be used on professional jobs, I doubt that the earning capabilities of the gear would pay for your investment within 2 years.

Sorry but I'm not into giving false hopes....

Return to posts index

Piotr Krawczuk
on Jul 11, 2013 at 11:01:13 am

Hi again Brian, It's all good. Keeping me down the earth is definitely healthy idea.

Regarding your first question I would use analogy of going out with girl on first date ;) I'm not here for sex BUT if it would be offered... (T&C) ;)

Reality TV and Satellite News are not worth to consider for now. I think I will be mainly focusing on documentary films and so called student films. Maybe some weddings.

So I would like to come back to my original question and ask for recommendation of field mixer and recorder as first step of gearing up.

Many thanks,
Piotr

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jul 12, 2013 at 1:26:07 am

OK... now this would be MY personal choice for your request 'A BASE level kit' (others may choose differently)

Mixer... SD302 or Shure FP33 with a portabrace or similar case / bag [the 302 uses AA batteries the FP33 uses 9v batteries) [If its the same as the radio mics you will only need one type of battery]
Radio mics... 2x Sennheiser EW112P G3 sets [frequency suitable to your location] with ME2 OMNI mics
Boom Pole... Rode boom pole
Boom Mic... Rode NTG3 or Sennheiser 416 [caution some 416's on eBay claim to be 'ex demo' mics but are cheap chinese copies... DO NOT TOUCH]
As an alternative to the NTG3 [but not as good] the Rode NTG2 being battery / phantom powered it could be plugged into a Senni TX [with the right cable]
Shock mount....Rycote Lyre shock mount. [InVision INV-7]
Blimp...A Rode WS6 / WS7 [depending on the mic] You won't need a full cage blimp.
Hypercardioid mic... for indoor shooting [Samson CO2]
Recorder.. Tascam DR-100 mk2 or the new Zoom recorder [must have XLR's in] the H4n is several years old in design now but still just workable.
Breakaway Cable.... to connect to cameras with return audio for monitoring.
Headphones.... Sennheiser HD 280 or HD25 II or Sony MDR 7506
A couple of xlr-xlr cables.

This should be regarded as the MINIMUM base level kit.....

Return to posts index

Piotr Krawczuk
on Jul 12, 2013 at 8:42:26 pm

Very comprehensive answers way beyond what I've asked -thank you for that.

Few additional question if you have a time for them. As I have mention I'm in to "down and dirty" approach therefore for now I'm thinking of getting zoom h4n and wait for release of H6 (it looks pretty impressive). I'll be hunting for second hand FP33 any good sources other then ebay for this (I've got a friend in US that can buy and bring it back to UK for me.

Regarding radio transmitters is buying G2 make sense (i know there is an issue regarding frequency being limed etc.) so is it still worth to consider?

As for the rest of the stuff I had no opportunity to look at as there is quite a loot of home work. But will get there.

Many thanks for your help again Brian. Looks like you are becoming a little bit of my mentor ;)

Regards,
Piotr

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jul 12, 2013 at 11:25:45 pm

Do a search on eBay for 'field mixer' there are quite a few on there at the moment. (PayPal and postage seems to work well worldwide)
Be careful with the G2 systems they work fine... but will possibly be obsolete & illegal in some countries. With the changes in frequencies you will need to investigate what's happening in your local area / country.... but don't buy in the old frequencies it would be a waste of money.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]