FORUMS: list search recent posts

VU limiter

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
VU limiter
on Jun 23, 2013 at 7:54:06 pm

My TV station requires VU meter not to exceed 0 and to be around -3 and dBFs not to exceed 10. I use a dBFs limiter but I don't know any VU limiter. Is there any limiter/compressor that will keep VU meter around -3/-4? So far I've been doing it manually with audio envelopes but I think there might be a better, automated solution.

big thanks for help

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: VU limiter
on Jun 24, 2013 at 1:44:25 am

Hello Grzegorz and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I'm thinking VU and RMS are pretty close. You can use a simple Compressor, but a brickwall limiter would probably be safer. Are you doing this while broadcasting, during production or in post production.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
on Jun 24, 2013 at 5:59:28 am

Ty,

I am doing it during post production. I have a brickwall limiter for peak meter but I am looking for one to limit exactly VU.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 24, 2013 at 1:40:01 pm

G,

Guess I don't understand exactly what you're after. For me, VU is a meter calibration and/or choice and is typically too slow to catch peaks. VU and RMS are pretty similar arithmetically. So maybe you want a compressor before your brickwall limiter?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jun 25, 2013 at 7:54:23 am

Hi
Im amazed that any "broadcaster" would use a VU in any kind of spec. Seems highly unlikely to me as VU meters are about as useful as chocolate teapots (IMHO)
They dont show peaks etc etc. A thing of the 70s for me. Weve moved on so far from that tech.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]