FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good Microphone for wireless system

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Smith
Good Microphone for wireless system
on Jun 19, 2013 at 10:38:16 pm

I will be buying a Azden WLX-PRO wireless lav system. I want to replace the microphone included in the system with a better one, what types of microphones can be used? Will anything that doesn't require phantom power work? My budget for the microphone is 100 dollars. Later after I upgrade to a black magic camera I will upgrade the system to a Sennheiser or something, but this is my budget for now.

I have to have wireless because my videos are made from up to a hundred different run and gun clips. The camera will only be 50-20 feet away from the microphone usually.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Good Microphone for wireless system
on Jun 20, 2013 at 1:35:52 am

Hello Tom and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I'm not a fan of Azden wireless. The lowest I'd go for professional work would be a Sennheiser G3.

My advice is to save a few more dollars and your professional reputation and man up to the Sennheiser that comes with the ME2, but can be improved with the MKE-2 lav.

50 feet is a lot to ask for in this day and age, especially in cities.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Jun 20, 2013 at 2:24:29 am

Oh sorry, I meant 5-20 feet. I have a Juicedlink preamp for my t3i, will that help if I use that as well, or will that not do much with a wireless?

So, if I don't use phantom power, a electret condenser microphone would work the best for omnidirectional?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 20, 2013 at 3:16:06 am

Tom,

Lavs that plug into wireless body pack transmitters don't use phantom power, they use a smaller bias voltage. Lavs can also connect with power supply modules that provide that bias voltage by converting Phantom Power to the Bias Voltage. These modules have XLR connectors. Some of the XLR modules come with battery compartments and will run on those batteries instead of by Phantom Power.

>So, if I don't use phantom power, a electret condenser microphone would work the best for omnidirectional?

Sorry, I don't understand your question. Most lavs are omni. Cardioid (directional) lavs are problematic and should only be used in special cases.

Still wouldn't go with Azden if you're pro.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

John Vogel
on Jun 30, 2013 at 12:15:33 am

Agreed. Ty, keep your eyes open on ebay for the wireless Tom recommends. They're used on all sorts of national shows and many times, the lead soundman or whoever is in charge of production will off load the wireless packs at the end of the show's run. Suddenly you'll find 25 listed on ebay from the same seller.

Also save your pennies for the MKE-2. After you've bought your first, you'll never go back.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 21, 2013 at 12:21:25 am

If you can't afford G3 wireless kits, then buy a wired lav of good quality. With audio the cheaper gear is pretty much a waste of money.

Here's an example:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/295908-REG/Countryman_B3P4FF05B_B3_Om...

plus an interconnect.

Remember this is per person.

If it has to be wireless ... rent or hire a sound tech with their own gear. (actually a great idea regardless).

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Jun 21, 2013 at 1:31:30 am

Ok, thanks for the responses, I will just get an audio recorder with lav on it for now and do the extra work until I save up for the better wireless kit. I watched a few more videos where people used the cheap wireless and they all sounded too bad.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 21, 2013 at 2:28:40 am

Tom,

Here's a good sounding, easy to use, small recorder.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/638090-REG/Sony_PCM_M10_BLACK_PCM_M10...

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Jun 21, 2013 at 4:56:33 am

Thanks, what advantages does this have over a cheaper one, such as the zoom h1 or cheaper sony audio recorder?

Would it be better to keep this in a pocket or belt clip or to attach a lav to it for recording at the most a 5 or 10 foot radius?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 21, 2013 at 10:38:46 am

Tom,

it's easy to use. hit two buttons and you're recording. It'll take an external input, but I think that's a line level. It may be adjustable for mic. It's been a while since I had it here. Here's the link to my review.

http://tyfordaudiovideo.blogspot.com/

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]