FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie question: Delivering to network specs - Checking levels?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Wittlif
Newbie question: Delivering to network specs - Checking levels?
on Jun 17, 2013 at 6:05:20 pm

Hi all,

This is plainly a newbie question. I have almost no experience with audio mixing, but I'm trying to conform to certain broadcast specs on a project.

According to the specs, audio levels are not to exceed -6dbfs. This much makes sense to me.

But the project I'm submitting includes a 5.1 mix, and in my timeline (network wants Apple Prores so I've hopped back to a mac and FCP 7 temporarily) I've got ten tracks of audio: a stereo track on top, two mono mixes of stereo beneath, and then the six tracks of 5.1 audio underneath.

Do I need to be checking the monitors to see whether or not any individual track exceeds -6dbfs, or whether all ten exceed -6dbfs when played back together? Or is there some other configuration of tracks I need to be playing back? (Or is this a moot question entirely, somehow?)

I'm sure the answer is simple. I just want to make completely sure that what I'm delivering fits the specs. Thanks in advance for humoring the newbie question!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Newbie question: Delivering to network specs - Checking levels?
on Jun 19, 2013 at 5:36:43 am

I'd assume they mean no level on any individual channel should exceed that threshold. Shouldn't really matter whether you're playing by channel or all together- it would be the same level to keep everything below.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]