FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to macke XLR connector ...Canon mic (from XL h1 camcorder)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dmitry Kartsev
How to macke XLR connector ...Canon mic (from XL h1 camcorder)
on Jun 5, 2013 at 11:59:31 am

Hello,
I have mic that originally comes with xl h1 camcorder. Now I want to use it on my xf100. But the thing is - connectors. Mic has strange connector. I opened it and found out that I can plug another cable. I tried to search for proper cable but no chance to find it.
Please help me with advice. How can I rebuild it for XLR connector.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: How to macke XLR connector ...Canon mic (from XL h1 camcorder)
on Jun 5, 2013 at 7:15:40 pm

It looks like it might be a "JST" (Japan Solderless Terminal) connector, but impossible to say for certain just based on your photos (with no scale).

If it is a JST connector, 4-pin female cable-end JST connectors are available from a wide variety of places for < $5. They are commonly used for charging batteries for remote-control toys. For example: http://www.all-battery.com/jst-xhv24pinadaptersforany3cellpack.aspx

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kartsev
on Jun 6, 2013 at 8:18:52 am

Thanks Richard for reply,
Ok, then is it possible to connect JST to xlr cable? If yes, which cable to which? I dont want to burn mic )))) I heard that canon's mic needs +5 power. And xlr is +48! Correct me if I am wrong.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:42:26 pm

There is no way to answer your question without knowing what the circuit diagram looks like. I believe you are correct, the circuit is probably designed for low-voltage "plug-in power". That would NOT be compatible with 48-volt phantom power as would be expected on XLR connections. So connecting directly from the JST connector to XLR is NOT recommended.

You could add a circuit inside the microphone to adapt it to 48-volt phantom power, or you could use an external adapter (such as the "PFA" from Naiant). The Naint PFA is probably more practical unless you are an experienced service technician.

http://www.naiant.com/naiant/inlinedevices.html

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jun 7, 2013 at 2:36:20 pm

As I understand it, that dual jack connector has audio on the bigger side and 5V dc on the smaller side...

so I expect it could be converted to work with XLR and phantom power but I wouldn't honestly recommend it as a diy project

OTOH, if it's useless to you otherwise and you're comfortable with a soldering iron you could do a bit of research about mic wiring and phantom power and have a go... what could go wrong?

;-)

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kartsev
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:42:54 am

Thank everyone for responding!
I wrote to canon`s teh.support and they wrote me that better not to do it "Using the microphone in this way will mean that the product is being used outside of specification". And unfortunately they didn't gave me any specs of mic. So as I am not strong in technical questions of audio, I am gonna buy new one mic and will try to sell canon's.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]