FORUMS: list search recent posts

Music Broker/Agent?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eric dole
Music Broker/Agent?
on May 20, 2013 at 1:33:39 am

This is probably not the right forum for the question that I have. But, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a music broker/agent for licensing music. When I think about getting a music license for a trailer that I will use only on the web, the first thought that comes to mind is the daunting task of tracking down all kinds of people to get all the appropriate rights. Just the idea is intimidating. So, I am wondering if there is an easier way, someone who deals with this kind of thing?

Thanks,

E.D.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Music Broker/Agent?
on May 20, 2013 at 3:17:41 am

Barbara Zimmerman's BZ Rights and Permissions in NYC has been doing this for decades and knows the business inside and out including who owns what and how to reach those with the ability to license stuff.

But it's not an inexpensive or rapid process, typically.

Also depending on the specific rights you need cleared, you can often start the Sync rights process (for putting music into a visual work like a video) directly through the Harry Fox Agency or by contacting ASCAP or BMI directly (depending on which organization handles a particular artists catalog.)

Maybe someday there will be a process like iTunes for clearing rights usage for small projects. But to date, the music licensing business is holding strong on a basic "last century" era licensing model that is VERY difficult to navigate.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

eric dole
Re: Music Broker/Agent?
on May 20, 2013 at 3:55:44 am

Thanks Bill. This gets me started. I appreciate it.

E.D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]