FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR Audio setup using H4N, Sennheiser G2 LAV with a Sescom Interface

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Giardina
DSLR Audio setup using H4N, Sennheiser G2 LAV with a Sescom Interface
on May 2, 2013 at 1:01:20 am

Hi Everyone...

I'm trying to improve my audio recording. I have the Sescom interface with the headphone jack. The one with the 25db pad. I'm recording 4 channels, running my G2 into one of the XLRs, and the build in mics on the H4N. I've tried a number of settings and I'm getting mixed results. If anyone has their workflow and settings mapped out I'd appreciate it... or know of a good tutorial.

Thanks!!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: DSLR Audio setup using H4N, Sennheiser G2 LAV with a Sescom Interface
on May 2, 2013 at 7:55:59 am

Whats a Sescom interface
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on May 2, 2013 at 1:00:39 pm

Hi...

The Sescom LN2MIC-ZMH4-MON Line Out to Camera Mic In Headphone Tap Cable is designed to connect the line output of portable recorders, such as the Zoom H4N to the microphone inputs of compatible DSLR cameras (see compatibility chart below). The cable measures 18" in length, features male 1/8" (3.5mm) mini TRS connections, a female 1/8" (3.5mm) TRS input for headphone monitoring, and a -25dB level attenuation pad for "stepping down" line level audio, to microphone level.

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on May 2, 2013 at 7:57:05 am

And what do you mean mixed results.
The audio is mixed, or sometimes its good and sometimes its bad. Please elaborate what is not going well.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Jim MacD0nald
on May 3, 2013 at 3:45:52 pm

Look out. Line level out of the h4n and mic level in on the camera. Is it really line level or headphone level on the h4n?

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on May 3, 2013 at 4:22:12 pm

Hi... yes Headphone/line out

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 6, 2013 at 9:49:16 pm

[Frank Giardina] "Hi... yes Headphone/line out
"

But you see "headphone" level and "line" level are two completely different things.

Line level is a engineering specification where the signal is inside a carrier that is precisely 1 volt peak to peak. Because its a fixed standard, all equipment expects line level to be precisely the same thing.

"Headphone level" is what comes from a headphone jack and that's nearly always wired behind a potentiometer that the user can adjust to raise or lower the signal strength. So there isn't any actual "headphone level" standard. Most headphone circuits are in the same general power range, but the signal is NOT fixed. it's user adjustable.

It's hard to help someone fix something without understanding the nature of the thing that's needing to be fixed! ; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]