FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony ECM-77b low output?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Mark
Sony ECM-77b low output?
on Apr 27, 2013 at 7:17:00 pm

My Sony lav all of a sudden has dropped it's output level by about 2/3.
The connections look fine. Do you think it's the transformer? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Bob

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Sony ECM-77b low output?
on Apr 28, 2013 at 1:55:21 am

You check the AA battery in the silver housing?

Evem if you're using the unit with phantom, this needs to pass current. So a bad battery can mess things up.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 28, 2013 at 2:06:36 am

Thanks for your reply. It doesn't need the battery if it's on phantom, however, I tried all configurations. It does the same with phantom, battery (new) or both. Thx.

Bob

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Apr 28, 2013 at 3:48:06 am

Have you tried unscrewing the small capsule (head of the mic) 1/2 way down the mic head is the join? Depending the climate you live in it may have corrosion on the small tag that touches the centre pin of the transducer. It might be worth gently wiping the tag, pin and thread with Isopropyl alcohol (or similar) to get rid of any corrosion or residue.

BE CAREFUL....Only gentle force is required.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 28, 2013 at 2:27:13 pm

That sounds like a good idea. I'll try that. Thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:25:00 pm

I looked at the inside of the capsule and everything looked fine. I cleaned it anyway and the output is still very low, so it could be in the amplification stage or the capsule has gone bad. Sony wants $192 for the board and $80 for the transformer. I called Sony tech support and they said send it in for an estimate. Any other ideas?? Thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

Jim MacD0nald
on May 3, 2013 at 4:00:36 pm

We use the 77 and 88 on a number of talk shows and have put them through hell. I have not had a problem with the level dropping like that. For the most part they quit compleatly. Humidity and the capsule? That will cause problems.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on May 3, 2013 at 6:55:19 pm

For less than the $272 Sony repair quote you can buy any number of good sounding new lavalier mics with new warrentys.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on May 4, 2013 at 2:10:09 pm

Right. A repair shop told me it would be better to replace it. It's at least 10 yr. old. They said it was probably the FET or capsule going bad. Thx for the replies.

Bob

Return to posts index

Jim MacD0nald
on May 8, 2013 at 5:38:39 pm

I remmeber that the 77s and88 had a lot of mecanical noise that would come from the cable. It got real annoying. Yeah for that price you can purchase something new. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on May 8, 2013 at 7:05:18 pm

I always thought it sounded a bit thin as well. Guess I'll have to do some research on lavs. Thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

Jim MacD0nald
on May 9, 2013 at 1:14:36 pm

Bob there is all sorts of gear out there. I was able to pick up a number of Sennheiser MKE 2s. It turned out to be a pretty versatile mic. With its power supply I could roll off some of the bottom end if I HAD to use it outside. There must be some on ebay. Hell you could win an Emmy with them.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on May 9, 2013 at 3:20:00 pm

Thanks Jim. You are right. I actually have one of those and I think it sounds great. The only thing about it that I don't like is the stiff cable. I'll go back to ebay looking for another. Thx.

Bob

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 9, 2013 at 9:27:02 pm

Just as food for thought...

The sonic profile of the ECM-77b was always extremely sensitive and quiet. As such it matched particularly well when intercut with higher end boom mics like those from Schoeps and the Sennheiser MKH series.

I used to carry both 77s and 44s and in any even remotely noisy locations, I'd reach for my 44s since they suppressed background noise much better.

In a quite space, the 77s would provide a much more open and spacious sound than many close lava and that's a sound (room and voice rather than voice separated from room) that I generally prefer.

I agree there are a whole world of lav choices out there.

The key is to understand the kind of tone you prefer and whether or not you're going to use the audio in a situation where the characteristics of the mic will help or hurt you.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]