FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hissing and Pop sound while using G3 wireless and Zoom H4n

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Hizz
Hissing and Pop sound while using G3 wireless and Zoom H4n
on Apr 27, 2013 at 6:09:08 am

Hello,

This is my first time on this forum. I was out on a shoot today. I was conducting interviews for a doc that I'm working on. I was using a Senheiser G3 wireless lav kit with a Omin directional mic attached. I had the sensitivity set to -18db. I was using a Zoom H4n and was using a Y splinter coming from the transmitter. I tried to set 1 xlr track to -6db then the other to -20db. When I was monitoring the audio I heard hissing in the background but I really didn't worry about it much, then suddenly the hiss began to rise to where it overwhelmed the audio from the person speaking then a loud pop then the hissing returned but I could hear it getting lower but it was still constant. I tried to adjust the pack and transmitter but their was a pop every once and a while.

I checked the Zoom and saw it was set to 48v phantom could this have been the culprit?

Any info would be greatly be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Hissing and Pop sound while using G3 wireless and Zoom H4n
on Apr 27, 2013 at 8:42:35 am

Certainally, turn off the phantom if the devices dont require it. At the very least you will make your batteries in the zoom last a whole lot longer.

I have had this exact thing, apparently without explanation.
Only steers ive been able to get is that with a far more crowded rf space, you need to rescan radio mics in any new location.

Give sennheiser a call and see what htey say.
Nb what is your squelch set to?
Where are you in the world
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 27, 2013 at 12:07:48 pm

Hello Johnny and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You say..."I was using a Zoom H4n and was using a Y splinter coming from the transmitter. I tried to set 1 xlr track to -6db then the other to -20db."

A Y splitter from the transmitter?

How did you try to set one track to -6 dB and the other to -20dB? With tone or just talking? Peaks of talking set at -20dB will certainly result in under recording and unless you have a truly great recorder, you'll be down in the noise floor with lots of hiss.

What camera were you using?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Johnny Hizz
on Apr 27, 2013 at 1:39:57 pm

Thank you both for your responses to this topic.

Ty,

Ugh I'm sorry I meant to say receiver, it was about 2am when I typed that. I had the Y splitter going into the Zoom H4n's XLR connectors. Both had separate mic levels so I adjusted them to what I typed above. I was using the record audio buttons to adjust my levels on the Zoom H4n. The camera I was using was a Panasonic GH2 with a Rode Video Mic Pro providing good scratch track audio for syncing later.

Peter,

I was in West Virginia, primarily the Moundsville area and my squelch settings were set to Middle. I did rescan for more frequencies and it told me the the bank that I was on was fine so I went with that one. The mic pack that I have scans from the 516 to 558 MHz range.

Is it possible I turned the Transmitter levels down too far? I did have the transmitter set at -18db in order to make sure I didn't get any clipping. The mic I used was a Pearstone ME2 Omni Mic that I bought from Amazon.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 27, 2013 at 1:45:41 pm

Is it possible I turned the Transmitter levels down too far? I did have the transmitter set at -18db in order to make sure I didn't get any clipping. The mic I used was a Pearstone ME2 Omni Mic that I bought from Amazon.

What did the levels on the transmitter and receiver read?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Johnny Hizz
on Apr 27, 2013 at 2:00:17 pm

Ugh Ty,

I am embarrassed to say this.....but I wasn't watching the audio levels that closely I was watching more of the levels that were going into the Zoom H4n >_<

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 27, 2013 at 2:46:09 pm

Ah! Well do a test and see what happens!

Remember you have three levels to "gain stage" properly. The input level of the transmitter. The output level of the receiver and the input level of the recording device.

I'm not saying that's what happened; just what could have happened.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]