FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please direct me towards a good mic...

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Sme
Please direct me towards a good mic...
on Apr 20, 2013 at 4:37:29 pm

Hey everyone. I want to film a documentary and perhaps a short film. I have a mini DV (GL1). I know sound is important, so I need a good lavalier/lapel mic and maybe a boom mic. I am new to this, so when I searched the threads, I found myself getting a bit confused and overwhelmed with what I read. I want this to be high quality, but I don't want to break the bank. Any suggestions? (also, not related to audio, but is a GL1 good? Should I invest in a second DV)?

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Please direct me towards a good mic...
on Apr 21, 2013 at 11:53:42 pm

You'll have a lot better luck here being way more specific. The GL1 was/is a decent run and gun standard def camera, but it does not shoot 16x9 native. So if you want to use 16:9 aspect ratio, I would start with a better modern cam. It uses a 1/8 stereo unbalanced jack so keep that in mind when thinking about mikes.

Documentaries most likely have very different needs than a short artistic film. You need to define what type of shots you are looking to get and a budget. Do you have a crew? Do you want this to look professional or are you just having fun? What is your planned type of distribution and who is your target audience?

Do a search here for lav and for shotgun and you'll have plenty of answers at specific price points for specific needs. Remember that a shotgun needs a boom pole and a boom pole operator or at least a stand and shotgun holder and boom arm. Wireless Lavs start at $600 a kit which will record only one person at a time.

Do you have a tripod? You can go hand-held but it will be hard to get good results for an enitre film without a tripod.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]