FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Interface Choices...

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Rathgeber
Audio Interface Choices...
on Apr 20, 2013 at 11:12:45 am

Hi there,
I am not an audio guy, but do require a clear and flat preview for the sort of video work I do. I came here a long time ago when I first started looking into getting a good pair of monitors and received a lot of helpful advice before settling on a pair of Mackie MR5s. Now I am looking for an audio interface to fully utilize the balanced TRS inputs. Until now, I've been using my M-Audio Fasstrack device via RCA. The size suits my need, but I'd like something that will give me the best results out of the monitors without taking up too much space. I've been looking at two compact interfaces that have both been getting good reviews: Mackie Onyx Blackjack and Alesis io2 Express. Immediately my instinct tells me I should go for the Onyx --Mackie monitors, Mackie interface. It's also more robust and durable. However, function and spec-wise they are virtually the same, yet the Alesis is half the price.of the Mackie. I can't really try them both out as the only stores in town let me preview monitors, not an interface with the monitors. So let me hear it from the pros. Which is the better buy and why? Or do you suggest something entirely different?

Please keep in mind, I do not have a lot of space and don't ever plan on getting a large soundboard for mixing. If I need to record, usually two inputs will be the most I need. I have no brand loyalty, but I do need a relatively flat and clear signal. Thank you in advance. =)

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Audio Interface Choices...
on Apr 21, 2013 at 3:01:52 am

Hello Mark and welcome back to the Cow Audio Forum.

Some clarifications please. :)

You have a piece of gear with Balanced TRS inputs or outputs? What is it?

Is this for a video editing system? If so, which one? What software? Are you Mac or PC?

Thanks,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Mark Rathgeber
Re: Audio Interface Choices...
on Apr 21, 2013 at 3:10:40 am

I'm currently using two Mackie MR5 monitors that have plugs for balanced XLR or TRS and unbalanced RCA. Currently I'm running RCA from my old M-Aduio Fasttrack interface, but hoping I could upgrade to something better. The only audio recording I'd do is for dubbing, so I don't need anything elaborate with many tracks.

Yes it's for video editing. I'm working off a late 2012 27" iMac that I bought this year. I mostly use FCP X right now, but I switch between other NLEs depending on the client. Needs to be compatible with Premiere, FCP7 and Avid. =)

Also I'm running OS X 10.8.3

Thanks. =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]