FORUMS: list search recent posts

Senn G3's and SD 702

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dominic Hadenfeldt
Senn G3's and SD 702
on Apr 18, 2013 at 11:24:20 pm

Hello all,
I am preparing to run my G3 units line level into a SD 702(w/ no mixer).

I've read 20/20 is a general starting point for output levels on the G3's RX and TX.

Should I need to change my line level settings in the 702? Or just change the gain on the wireless side? Or both?

I'm in data overload and looking for some general guidance. I'm missing some fundamentals I'm sure too.

Thanks in advance,
Dominic

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Senn G3's and SD 702
on Apr 19, 2013 at 1:25:29 am

The 20/20 guide line is for mic level inputs. For a line level input the -20 still applys for the tx but the rx output should be turned up to to "0" or above depending on the input sensitivity of the 702.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:03:28 pm

You cant put G3s into a line level input. Theyre mic level devices so the signal is @40db lower than line level. There will be a switch to go between mic and line level on the inputs.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Apr 19, 2013 at 6:24:19 pm

Of course you can Peter. You can crank up the receivers output to +12 over "0" to feed a line level input. I do it all the time. You can even feed the transmitter a line level input with a properly wired input cable. Do that a lot also.

Eric

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Apr 19, 2013 at 9:01:10 pm

Hi Eric
Well I'll admit that I didnt know that, but thats not so surprising as my background is fairly well documented as being in a post prod mixing environment primarily.
That said, I dont think id ever do it, as i prefer to run any element in a chain without over pushing it or under subscribing it. Just how I was taught, but I didnt know it would work.
Does the sd device not have switchable line / mic input sensitivity electronics making the need to pump out higher gain un necessary?

Peter

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Apr 19, 2013 at 9:33:58 pm

Almost all gear with XLR inputs & outputs have a way to switch them from mic level to line level. Where possible a line level connection is best to keep any RF issues & preamp noise out of the signal chain. Camera hops (wireless feeds from mixer to camera) are almost always line level in and out.

Eric

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Apr 20, 2013 at 9:04:41 am

Yes that's what I meant-using the correct switching on equipment to match the level type (mic /line)
Not cranking a mic signal way up to use a line input.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Apr 20, 2013 at 1:51:22 pm

I think you're missing the point. Receivers are normally line level output. All you can do is attenuate them to a mic level output. Transmitters have mic preamps because most often you're connecting a mic into them.

That said, by using a system specific wiring configuration you bypass the internal mic preamp and connect to the line stage of the amplification circuit. Less high gain preamps the better.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Apr 20, 2013 at 4:00:21 pm

Ahh
See Id have presumed, that, as the sound devices is a portable / field recording unit, he was using G3s that are the portable type (I dont think her ever said) rather than base station types which yes will have a line op. The g3s in the Uk that are portable type (non mains) are mic level op, hence the confusion.
Peter

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Apr 20, 2013 at 5:21:26 pm

All G3's are the same. The receivers can be either line or mic output depending on where you set the output level. Set at -30 and it's almost mic level as -40 & below is considered mic level. As you raise the output level you increase the output voltage until you're into line level territory. "0" is .773vac and +4 is 1.23vac. I'm a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school.

Return to posts index

Dominic Hadenfeldt
on Apr 28, 2013 at 8:58:19 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you both very much for the responses.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]