FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Interfernce Using Sennheiser G3 Audio Kit

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul McDermott
Audio Interfernce Using Sennheiser G3 Audio Kit
on Apr 16, 2013 at 4:05:12 pm

Hi
I'm a wedding videographer in Ireland and I have used Sennhesier G2 and last year upgraded to the G3 kit.
I always scan for available frequencies in new locations. Sometimes I get bursts of intermitent interference.

Here is a link to a very short clip with an example of it.
https://vimeo.com/64158356 password- audio

Does anybody have any idea what it is and how to avoid it.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Audio Interfernce Using Sennheiser G3 Audio Kit
on Apr 16, 2013 at 7:30:16 pm

Your link is password protected and can't be opened without it.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Paul McDermott
on Apr 17, 2013 at 10:41:58 am

Hi Eric
password- audio

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Apr 16, 2013 at 9:36:33 pm

That might be related to your squelch setting. I don't have my G3 handy to check, but I believe you can adjust the squelch sensitivity.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.7, Motion 5.0.6, Compressor 4.0.6

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Paul McDermott
on Apr 17, 2013 at 10:44:04 am

Hi John
My squelch is set to low

Should I change this. If it is set higher does that reduce the range of the signal?

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:56:46 pm

Yes, it'd probably affect the range as the signal needs to be stronger to punch through the squelch. But, it'd also be harder for the offending signal to punch through. I have no idea how much it'd affect the range. If you can get in that room to test, you can determine if the range is ok and if you still hear the interference.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.7, Motion 5.0.6, Compressor 4.0.6

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 17, 2013 at 3:39:14 pm

I once worked a room in which I was having a monstrously bad time with my wireless. I found a facilities person and asked if they knew if there was anything on. They opened a closet and all the wireless transmitters had been left on. The church in which you shot may have the same thing going on.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Paul McDermott
on Apr 17, 2013 at 4:16:56 pm

Hi Ty
This has been the case a few times. At the moment in Ireland there is a change in the frequencies. I'm on the new allocation with my new G3 kit, hotels and churches tend to be still on the old frequencies or something totally different as they imported their kit from abroad.
For speeches alot of the time I have to attach my wireless mic to the hotels wireless mic, very messy.
Thanks for your input. I'm going to up my squelch and see how I go.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:46:55 am

Hello Paul and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

That sounds like an RF "hit" of some sort. Could be enough smart phones in the area or something else. Have you worked there before? Did you do a scan when you setup?

Getting closer to the transmitter helps, but I had a guy with a smart phone on his belt once and the transmiter a bit farther around his belt. Range went from 50-60 feet before I wired him up to a foot and a half.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Paul McDermott
on Apr 17, 2013 at 10:48:57 am

Hi Ty
I always scan the area before I set up the frequencies. Often I get these rf bursts half an hour into the filming, sometimes as really strong bursts and other times weak and then it might go away again.
I keep my phone switched off and try and keep a good ten feet away from people with phones on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]