Sound Devices 302 > 702 Signal Chain

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregory Matthews
Sound Devices 302 > 702 Signal Chain
on Apr 11, 2013 at 7:38:05 pm

Hey Everybody,

We just purchased a Sound Devices 302 and 702 for use in capturing
audio while shooting video using a Canon XH-A1S.

We are also using Sennheiser G2 Wireless Lav's as the mic source.

We plan on connecting our G2 to the 302, and the 302 into the 702 for the master audio.

We'd also like to run a signal from the 302 into the XH-A1S as a sync track for use in post.

Understanding that there are different sources, levels (MIC, LINE, etc.), etc., please help us understand the best way to connect this audio chain, particularly related to the cables we'll need, in addition to the sound levels.

For example, we can't go 302 XLR OUT to 702 XLR IN because we need
to reduce the level of the 302 XLR OUT to mic level for the XH-A1S MINI IN.

Thanks in advance.

Gregory

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Sound Devices 302 > 702 Signal Chain
on Apr 12, 2013 at 2:21:00 am

Go into the 302 menu and reset one or both XLR output connectors to mic level.

To start from the top, set your transmitter to a -20 sensitivity & your receiver to -20 output level. Set the 302 input to mic level. Using the Male XLR to the 3.5mm trs male connector cable, connect the receiver to the 302.

You will need a female XLR to a 3.5 mm TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve)male plug that goes into your mini mic connector on your camera from the male XLR on the mixer. Send a tone from the mixer to the camera and set the camera level to -20db to start.

Do not use any auto level setting on the camera, be sure all AGC or auto level functions are OFF. Do any level adjustments on the mixer once you're rolling, keep the peaks on the camera to about -10dbfs and you'll be fine.

Remember there's a 20db difference between the mixers meters and the cameras meters so "0" on the mixer is really -20 on the camera, don't be afraid to get your mixer levels up to +8, that's only -12 on the camera and you still have 8db of headroom before digital zero.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Apr 12, 2013 at 2:29:26 am

Forgot about the 702, sorry. You can set the XLR inputs on the 702 to mic level also. One important thing to keep in mind before you start plugging things together is to RTFM's to familiarize yourself with how the units work. All the answers are in the manuals, you just have to ask the right questions. Good luck & have fun.

Eric

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 12, 2013 at 10:17:59 am

[Eric Toline] "Remember there's a 20db difference between the mixers meters and the cameras meters so "0" on the mixer is really -20 on the camera"

Eric, is that true of all cameras?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:44:41 pm

Bob Cole Re: Sound Devices 302 > 702 Signal Chain
by Bob Cole on Apr 12, 2013 at 6:17:59 am

[Eric Toline] "Remember there's a 20db difference between the mixers meters and the cameras meters so "0" on the mixer is really -20 on the camera"

Eric, is that true of all cameras?
----------------------------------------------------------------

It has to do with the mixer meter settings. Most mixers send a fixed "0" level tone, digital recording devices (cameras & recorders) want to see a -20dbfs reference tone level although there are some cameras that have a -12dbfs reference mark but you can figure out where -20 would be on them. Broadcast defacto standards are tone at -20dbfs and peaks at -10dbfs.

If you cover the "0" mark on your mixer with a piece of tape and write on it -20 instead then when you look at your mixer you won't have to do the math. The meter scales on the Zaxcom Nomad & Sound Devices 664 send a "0" tone but it shows as -20dbfs on their meters.

Hope this helps to clear up any confusion

Eric

Return to posts index

Gregory Matthews
on Apr 12, 2013 at 2:46:20 am

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your input.

The XH-A1S has XLR inputs. Do we still need to go with the 3.5mm?

The SD-302 has a tape out as well. Can we use that for the scratch track into the XH-A1S?

What do I need to take the Senheiser G2 into the SD-302?

So, in the end:

G2 > SD-302 (mic/line/connector?)
SD-302 > XH-A1S (XLR MIC)
SD-302 > SD-702 (XLR MIC)

Thanks again Eric. My head is slowly getting there!

Gregory

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Apr 12, 2013 at 2:59:16 am

Greg, Call me: 954-255-7628. Lot easier than typing.

Eric

Return to posts index

Gregory Matthews
on Apr 12, 2013 at 3:58:58 am

... thanks for the time spent with me over the phone tonight. It really helped!

Gregory

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]