FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tascam DR-40 and Sennheiser EW 100 G3

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Jones
Tascam DR-40 and Sennheiser EW 100 G3
on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:44:45 pm

Hi all,

Simple question here. My company just purchased the Tascam DR-40 recorder. I have read the manual, done some tests with it, and found it to be a great little audio device. I am not an audio guru, but have been in video production for several years.
We are planning on shooting a few PSA's and a documentary in the future. I do want to use the Tascam, however when I conduct tests, the levels in Final Cut are a bit low. I have the Input Level set at around 35, and I am recording in Stereo mode, with one Receiver in the L input of the device. My levels in FCP are between -24 and -30db. I don't want to boost the Input Level too much more, however it seems I may have to. It may be something simple like my Input Level is too low, which is fine, just curious if that's the adjustment I need to make.
Btw, the Mics are fine when running directly into our cameras, and the DR-40 sounds great when recording to its external mics.
Thanks ahead of time!!!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Tascam DR-40 and Sennheiser EW 100 G3
on Apr 3, 2013 at 7:04:19 pm

I have the exact same equipment as you do. First set up your wireless with the tx set for -20 on it's sensetivity, then set the receiver for -20 output level. Now adjust the DR 40 input level so your peaks get up to the little upside down triangle which is -12 on the meter scale, that should be about 60 or so in the little pop up window when you push the level set + button. All should be good now.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Tascam DR-40 and Sennheiser EW 100 G3
on Apr 4, 2013 at 1:06:23 pm

Hello Matt,

How are you conducting your tests?

Zero is zero.

Are the peak levels your getting on the TASCAM not the peak readings you're seeing in FCP?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]