FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with h4n phantom power

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Smith
Problems with h4n phantom power
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:07:40 am

I recently bought a used Zoom h4n and a new Shure sm93 condenser microphone (it came without a box though, so it could have been used or the seller was trying to save shipping costs).

The sm93 has a preamp and takes 11-53v of phantom power, the h4n provides 24 or 48v.

The h4n's internal mic and ext. mic input work good (I tried a cheap audio technica dynamic lav mic), but when I plugged in the shure sm93, there was no sound recording. I looked at both manuals and did everything exactly like it said, with both 24 and 48v, but still no sound.

When I blew into the lav mic, it registered a little on the h4n, no sound it just showed the bar moving a little on one side, but on playback there was no sound. I have the recording level set to 75.

I know these 2 work together: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-1242588.html

I tested the xlr cable with a multimeter, and according to that it showed it was good. I will go to Best Buy to try out different cables and microphones to make sure, if they have them. I don't want to just make a claim/send back to the ebay seller if it is just a small think I am doing wrong, and waste their time and money.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Problems with h4n phantom power
on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:36:05 am

Hello Tom and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Try the Shure on another device that supplies phantom power. If it doesn't work there either, you have your answer.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Mar 29, 2013 at 9:20:37 pm

You never sad what your 1/2 input gains are set to . It'll need to be up n the 70s fr a mic level
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Michael Reynmar
on Jul 19, 2013 at 1:47:47 pm

Hello, I have the same problem.
I am using a cheap ATR 3350 lav with my Zoom H4n. When I plug it into the 3.5 external mic hole - it works good, very goods levels.
But when I plug it into the XLR (I want to record two lavs at the same time) I have no levels at all. Just a tiiiiny small dot at the -64db or so. No sound on the record at all.
The lavs don't need a phantom power, 'cause they have an internal battery and they work nice when plugged directly into my Rebel T2i camera.

I just don't get it, what is the difference between the XLR and 3.5 jack inputs?

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Jul 19, 2013 at 7:47:09 pm

I don't know anything about how it works, but I returned my h4n and got a juicedlink.

I am using a ntg-2 with the juicedlink and for some reason it does not work with an unbalanced xlr cable, but works fine with a balanced one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]