FORUMS: list search recent posts

If I get interference, what should my first steps be in trying to solve things?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
If I get interference, what should my first steps be in trying to solve things?
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:18:40 pm

I have wireless lavs, Sennheiser ew100 G2's to be precise.

Sometimes I get interference and for the love of God cannot figure out why. I rescan and the new frequencies dont solve it. I'm also sometimes in the middle of nowhere so there shouldn't be anything around causing problems. But I'm just getting a tad of background noise, some fuzzy sounding stuff, and I hate it.

If that happens.....what should the first things I look at be? What are the most likely culprits?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: If I get interference, what should my first steps be in trying to solve things?
on Mar 9, 2013 at 6:56:10 am

" a tad of background noise, some fuzzy sounding stuff" does not sound like "interference" to me. Before you can start working on resolving a problem, you must accurately diagnose it first. Post some samples of what you are talking about and we can help diagnose it and then suggest practical solutions.

Return to posts index

Jesse Gibson
Re: If I get interference, what should my first steps be in trying to solve things?
on Mar 11, 2013 at 5:09:51 pm

I'm also running EW100/EK100's but the G3s and I think I'm having the same problem.

I've attached some audio with a couple of instances of what sounds like electronic interference.

I endeavor to remove mobile/cell phones and other wifi devices from around the receiver/transmitter and I've instructed my talent to keep the receiver away from his body (both things I've read contribute to this problem) but it keeps happening regardless. I can see no discernible pattern.

I'm wondering if there is a fault with the receiver/transmitter or the lav mic cable (which admittedly doesn't look in great shape) so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Jesse

5635_audiointerferencesample.aac.zip

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Mar 12, 2013 at 6:46:54 pm

When I listened to your sample, I heard:
1) Acoustic background noise from other people talking.
2) It almost sounded overmodulated and/or distorted at some audio peaks.
3) Two VERY BRIEF "blips" toward the end.

I assume it is (3) that you are referring to?
It sounded like RFI from some sort of personal digital device. Although I've never heard any of that kind of interference that was SO VERY SHORT. Typically they are MUCH LONGER than that. If you hadn't called it to our attention, I might have missed it.

It is also possible that it could be an intermittent in your microphone or transmitter. I would test it offline by exercising all parts of the mic head, the mic cable, the connector where it plugs into the body-pack transmitter, etc. etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]