FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shotgun mic stopped working

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Gogh
Shotgun mic stopped working
on Mar 8, 2013 at 4:14:59 pm

I use a shotgun mic on my DV camera and it just stopped working.

I didnt drop it and I take good care of it. Its run by battery and I checked that.

Is there anything I should look for or test in order to repair it. I'm not too familiar with shotgun mics and condensor mics.

Thanks in advance

Ben

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: Shotgun mic stopped working
on Mar 8, 2013 at 4:22:38 pm

stopped working during the middle of a take?
put in a new battery even though the orig tested OK.
fidget with the cable to see is the cable or jack is bad.
what brand of mic?
can you swap inputs on the camera?
did you swap the cable?
try it on someone else's camera or mixer?
is there an input switch on the camera that accidentally got switched to line in?
did the input on the cam get turned to zero?
is the cable fully inserted?

Do only 1 of these at time to isolate the issue.

Steve

Return to posts index

Ben Gogh
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:11:45 pm

I did all those. Its an Azden shotgun mic.

There is a slight jump up then back down in levels when I turn on the mic or swap a battery but thats it.

The mic stopped working one day when I went to use it. The only thing I can think of is an internal wiring issue. Will testing the impedence with a multimeter at the jack tell me anything?

Do the actual condenser mic itself pack up for no reason?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Mar 8, 2013 at 11:22:14 pm

Could the mic have the slightest bit of corrosion on the battery terminals?
Do you live in a humid location, has a battery gone flat and been left in the mic for a while, or do you permanently leave the battery in the mic for extended periods of time?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 9, 2013 at 5:00:26 am

Hi Ben,

Azden? Not a SGM-3416L or SGM-3416 by any chance?

If so, from my review of them:

"When I peeked under the hood, the only thing that gave me concern was what looks like a wire with a very small clip that looks to be a ground wire from the internal circuitry to the die-cast body. The clip is very small and is wrapped by several layers of protective tape. My concern is that at some future point, especially in highly humid environments, that connection will be compromised. I would like to see a soldered or mechanical connection there. If a problem does occur, all you need to do is unscrew the three small screws at the base of the mic, slide the innards out, unwrap the tape and clean the connection between the clip and the body."

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

PS: Here's my complete review: http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/azden-sgm-l-and-sgm--shotgun-mics/21726...

Return to posts index

Ben Gogh
on Mar 9, 2013 at 4:18:33 pm

no its not, its a mini shotgun mic for dv cameras.

I can see the negative black wire from the audio cable is connected by some messy solder to the negative terminal for the battery and patched over with a tape. Multimeter tested the connection and it seems ok. theres a white cable which must be the postive that runs up to the mic, its a stereo jack but one cable so it must be a mono mic.

I tried to pull out the shotgun cover with the row of sounds fins, but doesnt seem to budge, one screw seems stuck in place.

I think its either a connection, mic or component failure. I dont know how sturdy the condenser units are supposed to be, but I rarely use it outdoors and only been using to record foley indoors. Just stopped working one day not long after the 180 day warranty expired.

So I cant say anything nice about Azden at this point. I'll try to take the cover off. I can see a thin pcb board inside that connects to the mic at the tip, but not really sure what to look for. Not a electrician or audio tech.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 9, 2013 at 4:25:56 pm

Ben,

How much did it cost?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Mar 10, 2013 at 4:04:42 am

Ben,
Is that mic in or out of warranty? Even if it's out of warranty my own past experience with Azden when I used to own a couple of their mid-range wireless systems (I use AT now) was very positive. I found them to be very receptive and accommodating, bending over backwards to solve any problems. They even replaced a way out of warranty beltpack transmitter for me. If Wayne Alonso is still there contact him as I found him to be one of the best customer service oriented people I've encountered in more than 40 years in photo/video/av work.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]