FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Mount Microphone for Public Impromptu Interviews for Couples

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hanley
Best Mount Microphone for Public Impromptu Interviews for Couples
on Mar 6, 2013 at 8:57:24 pm

I'm going to buy a microphone this week to mount onto my Canon Vixia HF11 camera.

I want to do impromptu public interviews around the city interviewing couples on how they met. I understand that lavalier works well, but I don't want to stifle the people I'm interviewing by even minor setup such as hooking them up to a microphone. That is why I am interested in mounting a mic on my camera.

Through a bit of research, I have found that a good solution under $200 might be..

The shotgun RODE Videomic Pro $185-230:

OR

The stereo Tascam DR-07 mkii $140: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2uBIXPWSq8?t=20s

I plan on sometimes recording in areas like bars where there are people around. I obviously won't be shooting when it's very loud, but still want to give it that impromptu vibe where there's a few patrons in the background ordering drinks. I want to be able to zero in on just their voices and keeping the sound as clear and full as possible.

Which of these would be a better choice? Also, what is your own suggestion for what I should buy, based on my needs?

I'm wary of getting a friend to do a boom mic at the moment. I want to keep this setup as simple as possible while getting the best sound quality on the couple being simultaneously interviewed.

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Best Mount Microphone for Public Impromptu Interviews for Couples
on Mar 7, 2013 at 9:43:56 am

I expect that would be fine, although I dont know the mic, nut if you can def get close enough and have someone point it correctly.
Make sure its well wind protected. I dont know what Rode make for this , but personally I always use a 416 in a sennheiser basket with a full on fluffy where these outdoor wind movement.

BUT the number 1 thing is use headphones that actually allow you to hear what youre getting, then if you need to move to sheild the mic from wind, you know it straight away.

Id rekon that a lav mic would be very succeptable to wind noise unless in a proper wind fluffy.

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Best Mount Microphone for Public Impromptu Interviews for Couples
on Mar 14, 2013 at 12:28:02 pm

I question your (assumed) premise that you must do this from behind a camera with a camera-mounted microphone. If you look at most of the decent interviews of that style on commercial TV, you will see that the interviewer is probably using a hand-held mic and holding it up to the people who are talking.

You said that you are "wary of getting a friend to do a boom mic", but maybe you are looking at this from the wrong angle. I would have my friend aim the camera and I would use a hand-held mic to hold up to the people being interviewed. If you also need to record your questions, pull the mic back towards yourself, or use a lav on yourself.

I have extremely low expectations of using ANY microphone mounted ON the camera to get decent audio in this application.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]