FORUMS: list search recent posts

ADR software option

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danor Gerald
ADR software option
on Feb 28, 2013 at 9:41:27 pm

I just setup a studio in our corporate office with a nice soundbooth from Whisperroom. We often have to record other languages and dub over the original video. We have soundtrack pro and adobe audition (cs6).

I am trying to setup a macbook pro laptop w/ video playback in the booth for multi-language Voice Overs. Is this possible with these programs? Has anyone ever done looping or ADR with these in a sound studio? I know the main tool for this is Pro Tools but we don't have that.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Danor

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: ADR software option
on Feb 28, 2013 at 9:55:21 pm

Hello Danor and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Since lip sync is not an issue with foreign languages, what's your reason for wanting to provide it in the booth?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Danor Gerald
on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:40:33 am

Thanks Ty,
Our Spanish voice over artist tends to match the energy and timing better when he can see the person speaking in the video. Previously we recorded at a very nice full scale sound studio and that seemed to work well for us. Now that we have a booth I want to have the same capability for the artist's convenience. This is a unique situation where the Spanish VO artist is "the voice of the CEO" in latin America. So we're using him to establish the same energy and attitude but for a consistent/similar sound in the latin market. I'm sure we can do it without video feed as you suggest, but I am hoping to have looping capability in the booth as well for future needs. But with our current software it may not work out I guess.

Danor

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 1, 2013 at 1:10:51 pm

Danor,

I have CS6 (audition) running on one of my Macs. I seem to recall it has video playback. Does the computer have to be in the booth? I was narrating in a whisper booth yesterday that had a window. The monitor/computer could have been there as well.

What video program are you using? Can it run on the lap top?

Do you expect to record the new voice track to the lap top? If not, then where?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Mar 1, 2013 at 2:40:44 pm

Recording a voice over to picture is a good way to go, but theres no need to overcomplicate a simple VO session into an ADR session.
ADR it is not.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:42:55 pm

If you find you can work in FCP-X this is another task that's INSANELY easy.

Import your video into the Event Brower and into a storyline.

Go to the Window Menu and you'll find Record Audio as a choice. It brings up a small audio record inset where you can target any USB (or similarly connected) mic chain.

Hit record and the audio is auto-created and dropped into a new connected clip at the point where your playhead is located.

If you make a mistake, you can just backup the playhead and start again from wherever.

It's almost laughably easy.

Honestly, a MacBook Pro, $299 for FCP-X and decent headphones and you're good.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Danor Gerald
on Mar 13, 2013 at 12:08:43 am

Thanks so much for all the help everyone. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. (Don't hate me) I had to catch flight to Kona Hawaii, that afternoon and ran out of time. We ended up just having him play the original english version on a laptop in the booth, and recorded to a zoom through the xlr wall connection. That way he could see it and hear it in his headset while recording. I will try to mount a monitor inside the booth and connect it as a second screen to the laptop outside.

I find that it is nice for artists to be able to see and hear the original source material even if they are just doing a language VO. They seem to match the original feeling of the native speaker that way.

Thanks again.
Danor
http://www.imdb.me/danor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]