FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best method of selling your music

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Reiner
Best method of selling your music
on Feb 28, 2013 at 3:36:47 pm

Hello Audio Professionals,

I'm a long time COW user on the Video Professionals forums, but I admire your work! ;)

I have an acquaintance who has started making some really good music beds and is building up his library. I use a lot of stock music and his is definitely of pretty high caliber.

What he doesn't know is the best way for him to sell his music. So I thought I'd throw it to you fine folks, because I have no idea. Should he go through any particular websites, set up his own site, work with an intermediary, be independent etc.? What's the best avenue for him to get the best return on his work.

This post isn't to try to sell his music, but if you're curious, let me know and I can send you his contact and demo material.

Thanks in advance. It was a nice journey to this side of the COW.

Kevin

Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB Memory
Dual-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
Dell Display (23" flat panel)
ATI Radeon HD 5770
AJA Kona LSi SD/HD capture card
Rourke 16 TB
Flanders 2460

SOFTWARE
Mac OS X 10.6.5
FCP 7
After Effects CS5
Boris Continuum
Sapphire Plug Ins
All Trapcode Plugs
Zaxwerks Invig

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Best method of selling your music
on Feb 28, 2013 at 5:51:41 pm

Hello Kevin and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Yes to all. It's very hard to make a living with music today because there are so many sources.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Kevin Reiner
on Feb 28, 2013 at 5:59:03 pm

Thanks for your response Ty. Maybe a better question is "what should he avoid?" Any hard-learned lessons out there regarding selling your music?

Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB Memory
Dual-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
Dell Display (23" flat panel)
ATI Radeon HD 5770
AJA Kona LSi SD/HD capture card
Rourke 16 TB
Flanders 2460

SOFTWARE
Mac OS X 10.6.5
FCP 7
After Effects CS5
Boris Continuum
Sapphire Plug Ins
All Trapcode Plugs
Zaxwerks Invig

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 28, 2013 at 6:27:14 pm

Ah!,

Well then. Avoid anyone who wants to own your music outright and not license its use from you unless that particular music, in your/his opinion is relatively disposable or unless you get a big enough pay out for its use in perpetuity.

Think of music as an intellectual property. You get paid for its creation and also for the degree of exposure. A ditty for an industrial video should be less expensive than the underscoring for MicroSoft's next TV campaign. I don't remember what Bill Gates paid for the Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up" for the Windows 95 campaign, but the $3 mil, $8 mil and $14 mil you read about are a benchmark that you can only hope for.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

André Engelhardt
on Mar 2, 2013 at 7:40:54 am

Hi Kevin,

for starters I'd recommend as much exposure as possible. Sign up with every stock music site out there (that offers a fair deal, a lot of them do, a few don't. Find a stock site, google for reviews then decide if it's worth joining) eventually when your friend builds a name for themselves they can go exclusive on one website but especially as long as their catalogue isn't all that extensive yet, it's really worth having the music available in as many places as possible (even include websites like bandcamp, cdbaby etc.)

As for the stock music creation part itself it's proven worthwhile to stick to just one to two musical genres to make yourself a name with. If you don't want to / can't limit yourself to one or two (that's ok too!) then use different writer/composer names for each genre. It sounds silly but it's worth it.

What to avoid? Anything your gut tells you is too good to be true or all out exclusive licenses. Read the websites' fine print very carefully! Most of us like to just skip the TOS and EULA's but when putting your material up for sale through a third party you HAVE to read the contract you're getting into. Also, your music will get ripped off/stolen eventually, be prepared that it will happen and maybe put some money aside for legal costs if you wish to pursue but just know that it will happen and don't get too upset about it.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck to your friend!

P.S.: Stock music creators can be a very competitive bunch, take critiques with a grain of salt, many will have you believe there's no more room for more stock music, that's plain B.S., there really aren't THAT many people doing stock music in the overall scheme of things! Anyone who tells you that it's a tough market is usually just afraid of new competition!

--
André Engelhardt
Audio Engineer, Sound Designer
http://www.soundr.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]