FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hissy G3 audio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Kownacki
Hissy G3 audio
on Feb 8, 2013 at 1:14:39 am

I'm dazed and confused about the sound I did on Tuesday. I used 2 of my G3 wireless and a G2. Adjusted them all the same. My unit 2 on input 2 seemed to eliminate background noise WAY better than the other 2 units. On-set I swapped xmitters & receivers, mics, batteries, changed channels, banks, freqs, sensitivity; but mixer channel 2 and monitoring the L channel was soooo much cleaner than the other mics. This occurred inside, outside, and all over inside a large retailer.
5408_locnatsnd.aif.zip
5409_locspeaking.aif.zip

Today I tried to re-create this in my office and they are all identical in tone, volume, noise... everything. So I COULDN'T re-create it! Gad. I did every possible combo of mic, xmitter, receiver... all sound identical. AND they all have similar noisy characteristics as they did on set. I couldn't get that clean channel I did have. They should be cleaner sounding. What I hear in the cans when recording is exactly what the file recorded - as it should be.
5410_officetest.aif.zip

In post, this is a piece of cake to clean up, but I don't want to deliver poor audio and cause work for anyone. I can confirm that there is hiss in the receiver when I plug the headphones directly into the output jack which would eliminate the mixer causing the noise. Mixer was a Sounddevices 522. Everything on battery. Same results no matter how many or few receivers or transmitters on simultaneously.

Really confused about this, especially since I can't re-create the issue. Mics worked fine the day before.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Steve

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Hissy G3 audio
on Feb 8, 2013 at 3:17:54 am

Did you do a scan for frequencies?

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: Hissy G3 audio
on Feb 8, 2013 at 3:50:18 am

Yep.