FORUMS: list search recent posts

recording audio with a mic settings? a little confused.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason zaloga
recording audio with a mic settings? a little confused.
on Jan 25, 2013 at 9:57:12 pm

I'm trying to record audio from a microphone using Audition CS6 for a video tutorial (Apple platform). I have a few setup questions. When I record in Audition it seems to record and playback in one channel (mono) I think. When I open a new document I choose stereo and that's when it does this but when I actually choose mono nothing happens. I'm thinking this is normal. But how do I convert it to stereo? Or is this done when I bring the file into Adobe Premiere? I'm using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 audio interface and a Rode NT1A mic. I believe all my settings are good but not sure. When I make a new file in Audition the settings are 48k bit rate, stereo for the channel and bit depth is 24. My midi settings are saffire but I'm not sure about the Audition channel mapping properties or my sound system preferences. Any help and pointers welcome. Any help or guidance most welcome.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: recording audio with a mic settings? a little confused.
on Jan 25, 2013 at 10:46:25 pm

Hello Jason and wel come to the Cow Audio Forum.

Why do you need to convert mono files to stereo?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on Jan 26, 2013 at 1:42:35 am

i have no idea why. i just thought it needs to be stereo in order to bring it into a video editing program. i have been messing around for days but i have no idea if my settings are in order before i begin to actually start recording. i´d be pretty frustrated if i spent hours recording and it was done wrong.

so when i record with the previous settings and it records in mono and plays back with one channel do i go up to the edit menu in audition and covert down the channels to make one single mono channel? it is obvious that i have no idea what i am doing but i assure you i have been all over the internet reading bits and pieces of info before i hit the forums. what am i doing right and what am i doing wrong? is there a video tutorial specific in audition and recording with a mic? thank you.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 26, 2013 at 2:14:56 am

I may be wrong but I think you should be able to have both mono and stereo tracks in the same project.

You can pan the mono tracks to the center and they will fill both stereo output tracks.

How did you acquire the software? There's an adobe audition on line forum and there are help files that should have been installed when the software was installed.

It's a pretty powerful and versatile program.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Thomas Alexander
on Jan 26, 2013 at 9:34:09 am

Your settings are correct. But what you do here is a simple tutorial. I don't know how many channel inputs for microphones your sound card can support but using only one microphone the graphic card doesn't turn it into stereo. The sound card is designed for multichannel so if you have plugged only one mic you can't get stereo.
To record in "actual" stereo you need a special stereo mic condenser. Is a specialized microphone for stereo recording.
http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=current_microphones&cid=ku100_descriptio...

Your audio software recognizes the single audio channel from your sound card as a mono track. But i am pretty sure that your audio software has an option of turning your mono track into multi-mono which basically is fake stereo. It just duplicates your single mono recording into two tracks the one panned left and the other right. If you don't find this option than what you can do is to duplicate the mono track and pan the tracks one left and one right. And there you will have some multi-mono. I am pretty sure that your software has a multi mono option on the mono track you just recorded. Try to right click on the track you recorded. I have never used adove audition so i don't know if it has this option but almost all softwares that handle audio do have a multi-mono option. I hope that hels my dear friend.

Settings
Input: Saffire Firewire
Output: Saffire
and do the rest as i told you. Duplicate the mono file and pan the one audio track left and the other right if you don't find the multi mono option.

Thomas Alexander | Independent Cinematographer
Soulman Films | Nicosia Cyprus | +357-97697640

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on Jan 26, 2013 at 5:36:38 pm

thanks guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]