FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using phase cancellation as a tool

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Peter Groom
Using phase cancellation as a tool
on Jan 22, 2013 at 8:48:08 pm

Hi all.
Thought Id tell you about something I did today to great effect.

I had to shoot a series of presentations for a big company in a board room environment. I was working solo, 2 cameras and radio mics etc.
The fan noise from the ceiling mounted video projector was pretty bad, and they needed it for powerpoints, so it couldnt be turnmed off, nor could the air con.
So my recordings had quite a lot of air noise on them but there was nothing I could do at the venue, EXCEPT make an additional recording to allow its removal back in pro tools.

I recorded the presentations using a radio Sennheiser g3.
After all were done I cleared the room and using the SAME mic in the SAME position at the SAMR recording level, made a 1 min recording of just the room noise.

In Pro tools i added a new track of this room noise, zoomed RIGHT IN and synced up the wave form shapes in a period of re record silence, and then mono'd it all up and phase reversed the room tone. This dry room tone recording phase removes the room tone in the good recording, cleaning up NO end.
If fact it was too clean so i added a little back in.

A good trick for people to be aware of when there is extraneous noise (that can be repeated / re created exactly)

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: Using phase cancellation as a tool
on Jan 22, 2013 at 8:59:16 pm

Also can be a useful technique for getting clean vo if you only have full mix and international.

Doesn't always work though :-)

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Using phase cancellation as a tool
on Jan 22, 2013 at 9:29:44 pm

Indeed. Good results today though
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]