FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selecting an inexpensive shotgun

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Bruder
Selecting an inexpensive shotgun
on Jan 19, 2013 at 9:36:54 pm

As I am new to the forum please bear with me as I have some questions regarding shotgun microphones. I am currently looking to purchase a long shotgun microphone. I have read through numerous posts that memebers have written in about specific microphones saying that one is better than the next with respect to models that are currently available,i.e., sennheiser, sanken. etc.

While I realize that you get what you pay for, I'm trying to approach the money/quality issue, by trying to "back peddle" a little. While money is an issue, I do not really want to spend money to purchase an inexpensive microphone as I realize this is most likely a waste of money only to get poor quality.

My question is this - Is there any merit to trying to purchase an older discontinued microphone like a Sennheiser 415T, 815T, in lieu of a current 416 or MKH70. There appears to be a number of these older mics out there at prices that are rivaling the less expensive current models.

I understand that service and parts may not be available for these older mics but does thier quality surpass the bulk of the newer less expensive models(Azden, Sennheiser ME series, Audio Technica), or are their specs due to their 20-30 years of age much worse than anything currently out there. Keep in mind I have a Sound devices 302 mixer so the T power issue is not a problem.

Comments welcome
Fred Bruder

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Selecting an inexpensive shotgun
on Jan 20, 2013 at 9:17:53 pm

Im plesed to say Im not old enough to have any knowlege on this score.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Selecting an inexpensive shotgun
on Jan 23, 2013 at 9:29:26 am

The 416 has been around for a long time so I wouldn't buy anything older myself, because of the reliability worry of using something old.

When I thought the 416 was a bit pricey for me I bought a Rode, and it's fine for my purposes (although today I would probably just buy the 416 - mics last a long time if you take care of them and a good one is an investment).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]