FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shotgun microphone, 40m XLR cable, Tascam portable recorder, input & output impedance

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mano kneisser
Shotgun microphone, 40m XLR cable, Tascam portable recorder, input & output impedance
on Jan 10, 2013 at 1:21:44 pm

Hello,

i need to record audio for a short film using Tascam DR-40 and one of the shotgun listed below.

Audi-technica AT8035 or AT8015: output Impedance = 500 Ω
Rode NTG-2: output Impedance = 250 Ω
Azden SGM-1000 output Impedance = 1500 Ω
Azden SGM-1X output Impedance = 680 Ω

for a wide shot scene, i will need to place the camera (5DMKII) 40 meters away from the talents and connect the shotgun to the tascam with a 40m long XLR cable
the tascam DR-40 will be connected to my camera with a sescom cable .
(off topic: the talents will have lavalier mic connected to Tascam DR-05)

so i was reading that, the highest the output Impedance of the mic, the highest the signal loss when using a long XLR cable.

since the Input Impedance of the Tascam DR-40: = 2200 Ω
the questions is :
-is the Rode NTG-2 the most suitable mic for this kind of situation ? (aside from the mic quality)
- is it better to equalize the Input/output inpedance ? and if yes, how?

thanks in advance for your input

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Shotgun microphone, 40m XLR cable, Tascam portable recorder, input & output impedance
on Jan 11, 2013 at 1:42:12 am

Hello Mano and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Gross differences in impedance can show losses, but here, not so much. However the Mk ii has crappy audio. I wouldn't use it for production anyway. I hear the mk iii is much better.

But, you need a phantom supply and the correctly wired cable to put the audio to the correct pins in the camera input.

The NTG-2 runs on a battery, so you wouldn't need a phantom supply, but you'd still need a specific cable. Also with no mixer and limiter, you can't control the audio level while shooting. You will probably need to do that.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]