FORUMS: list search recent posts

looking for a Virtual pc audio mixer

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Groom
looking for a Virtual pc audio mixer
on Dec 18, 2012 at 7:54:54 pm

HI all
Im looking for something a little different and wonder if anyone knows of something. It doesnt have to be free, im happy to pay. It must run pon pc tho.

I need a software / virtual audio mixer that will accept the audio feeds from a variey of pc applications running on the computer INTERNALLY to the machine and then allow its mixing, and then present the output of that mix to be sent to another application that will broadcast it??

Any ideas / thoughts/ workarounds etc

Cheers
peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: looking for a Virtual pc audio mixer
on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:13:42 pm

I know you said internally but have you seen this mixer?
http://www.mackie.com/products/dl1608/

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 19, 2012 at 11:52:56 am

Hi
id not seen that, and will take a closer look, but its not right in this case. Id have to equippe the pc with a far more advanced psound card to get all the channel feeds OUT of the box, then mix it ( and but multiple Ipads) and then get it back in.
Im looking for something that would allow me to route internally. There are a number of rooms need setting up this way for web broadcasts so thered be multiple cost bases, for no good reason (apart from I havent found a suitable virtual mixer yet?

Peter

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Dec 19, 2012 at 3:25:49 pm

Assuming you are running MS Windows? What part of the stock audio mixer application is inadequate for your project?

I am currently designing and intent to build a "fly-by-wire" mix-minus mixer for webcasting (like TWIT.TV). It will be implemented with I2C controlled chips. I plan to have both a software control (via USB) and hardware control panel. I would use an off-the-shelf commercial mixer except that I need mix-minus to accommodate people calling in on Skype.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 19, 2012 at 5:32:53 pm

Yes its on windows but Im asked for a mixer section to allow the inserting of a variety of different applications running to be mixed. i guess options like basic eq, creating mix minus etc etc are all the things that youd take for granted on a mixer console, and thats what im asked for on this. The op of this mixer then needs to be routable to the streaming software also running internally.
Im sure skype calls, video content and local speakers on mic will all be needed in the mix.
I donty think the basic windows mixer is nearly flexible enough..... and if anyone has ever ready my other comments on this forum, id want decent metering on it too!!

Peter

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Dec 19, 2012 at 11:37:21 pm

Has technology reached a point where our needs and wants have outstripped whats actually been produced either in a hardware or software form?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Dec 20, 2012 at 4:12:37 am

"Has technology reached a point where our needs and wants have outstripped whats actually been produced either in a hardware or software form?"

Not exactly. But we are always seeking new and more efficient ways of doing mostly the same old things.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 20, 2012 at 9:30:41 am

Interesting thought.

The concept and my want to mix various sound sources is far from new, but the lack of enthusiasm to over spec the pcs cards just to let me take everything out into the conventional mixer world rather than just do thing internally is understandable.

Ive not found anything yet though.
Peter

Return to posts index

Antonis Tsoukatos
on Dec 21, 2012 at 9:33:08 am

Hey Peter

I know you said that this app should be for PCs but I will momentarily divert you to the Mac world.

For the Mac platform, there is this app called Soundflower and it can give you up to 16 channels of virtual audio routing. Subsequently, any audio app (and the OS) can use any of these outputs. And as a result you should be able to stream them in the DAW that is being used.

I Googled if there is a PC equivalent of Soundflower and the search comes back with JACK http://jackaudio.org/. Have a look if you haven't already and let us know if this works.

If there are a caveats with this setup these would be that not every app gives the ability to select it's own dedicated audio out. Especially not the "domestic" ones. Instead they follow the output set by the OS. But you mention Skype and this indeed gives the option.

http://www.antonis-t.com

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 21, 2012 at 9:33:40 am

re
"Has technology reached a point where our needs and wants have outstripped whats actually been produced either in a hardware or software form?"

hang on. is that not the driving force behind ANY new invention / development.
The need exists and the tech doesnt?
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]