FORUMS: list search recent posts

Device or system to play 8 channels of simultaneous audio?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teo Camporeale
Device or system to play 8 channels of simultaneous audio?
on Dec 15, 2012 at 3:53:36 am

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas as to how I can approach this. I am working on a sound-piece that ultimately needs to play across 8 channels simultaneously. I could mix it as 4 stereo programs that would play in sync, or keep it as 8 discreet channels. The main issue is the delivery system will be housed in an enclosure for driving an array of 8 outdoor speakers, and will be looping continuously. So this needs to be a pretty robust "turnkey" kind of system, like DVD, BlueRay, or something else, but not a computer based system.

I was looking at surround-sound formats, but even 7.1 only gets up to 7 discreet channels. Another thought I had was if 4 stereo-playing CD or DVD players could be linked, so that 3 players would slave to one. But I don't know what kind of players have that capability.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Device or system to play 8 channels of simultaneous audio?
on Dec 15, 2012 at 3:00:01 pm

if you created 2 surround dvds that ran identical lengths,but each had a different arrangement of the necessary playback audio, that could then be routed to amps and speakers , would that not work. If the dvd players were the smae make and model and each were on loop, surely 2 could be started with good syncroniity that would then hold?

I dare say there are more elegant solutions out there but id guess theyll cost !

interessting one to ponder but plenty of people will have done this sort of project so good answers will be along shortly id guess.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Dec 16, 2012 at 11:07:20 am

Just thinking about it what about Tascam and Alesis ADAT multi track recorders / players, at the moment they are selling 24 track machines new but eBay might be the place to buy older 8 channel machines for peanuts.

http://www.alesis.com/hd24xr

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/A-PAIR-OF-Alesis-ADAT-XT-8-TRACK-RECORDERS-IN-GR...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alesis-HD24-digital-24-track-multitrack-recorder...

Return to posts index

Teo Camporeale
on Dec 17, 2012 at 3:35:14 pm

Hi Brian, thanks for your ideas. This could definitely work. My ideal would be something like DVD as the medium, since I wont be present to operate the installation. But in theory, a hard-disk system like the HD-24 could work. Problem being-- if there's an equipment failure, it's harder and longer to fix or replace.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Teo Camporeale
on Dec 17, 2012 at 12:26:12 am

Thanks Peter for your ideas. I am considering the "on the fly solution", since frame-accurate sync is not needed here. But ideally, I want them to stay "in the realm" of close to each other. My worry, is that after multiple loops (a 20 min program looping 13 hours / day) things might drift considerably between players, whenever they re-load to loop again. I was looking at RS232 linkable DVD players-- but the new ones are $$$. Anyway, many possibilities... thanks again for your thoughts!
Teo

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Dec 17, 2012 at 9:10:09 pm

Why avoid a computer... should mostly be a set and forget if it isn't doing anything tricky? Surely must be the easiest way to run 8 tracks in sync.

Make an 8 track .mov and have VLC run in loop playback

put it in a batch file that runs on start up and all anyone has to do is turn the computer off and on again

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT.html

could be a cheap output option

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Dec 17, 2012 at 9:14:03 pm

And, AIUI, lots of surround formats are just 8 discrete, full bandwidth, tracks...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]