FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the best way to record wireless audio with DSLR

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jo roy
What is the best way to record wireless audio with DSLR
on Dec 12, 2012 at 5:36:19 am

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some informations about the best workflow / equipment to record audio with DSLR.
Here is what i want to know, and some restrictions that i have to mention to you:

-This is an event where i will be filming with 3 DSLR and 4 lavallier.
-I don't want to record the sound directly on the DSLR (via an headphone jack...no thanks)
-It have to be as portable as possible. (travelling)

Maybe this is ridiculous, but i thought to buy the Tascam DR-100, 2 XLR splitter and 4 lavallier.
I'll use the 4 built-in microphone of the Tascam for back-up.
And yes, i know...I'll have to sync the sound separately.

Any better ideas?

Sorry for my english, thanks!

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: What is the best way to record wireless audio with DSLR
on Dec 12, 2012 at 11:22:50 am

if youre using 3 DSLR then Ill presume you have 3 camera operator, in which case your problem disappeared as youll also have a sound recordist???!!!
If not Id suggest youre placing waay more importance on the pictures than the audio?
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: What is the best way to record wireless audio with DSLR
on Dec 12, 2012 at 4:34:46 pm

I have to sort of agree with Peter. I've tried to deal with three cameras and multiple mics but it is not worth it. Those cases were ones in which I was shooting carefully staged shows, and I would simply let the sound man/woman get the feeds and blend them, giving me a stereo mix into my mixer. Once set, (usually at a sound check) I am free to focus on, well focus!

I believe, but I could be wrong, that a splitter will also split your signal strength. I've read that somewhere. Without a field mixer, you are likely to be dissappointed.

Peter, I've often shot with a stationary A camera for wide angle frontal view, and wandered a hall with a B camera. Three cameras is just too much, unless you have some real need for one more, and then, yes, you need a human to handle it.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]