FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 Mics - 1 input

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Wright
2 Mics - 1 input
on Nov 27, 2012 at 3:45:59 am

In 20 years I've never run into this problem (or I've always had a profession solution)! This time, things are a little different. I need to mic 2 people with wireless lavs (Sennheiser G3), and I need to record with a GoPro Hero2 (1 mini mic input). I know it's WRONG in many ways, but would it work to use an 1/8" splitter to run the 2 receivers into the 1 input? I'm could lower the output of the receivers so I wouldn't overdrive the input. And I don't really care that both mics would be mixed on the same track. (My backup option is to record one mic on the GoPro and the second mic on a separate recorder like Zoom... but I'm still interested in the initial question since simplicity is a BIG issue).

Thanks! -Andrew

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: 2 Mics - 1 input
on Nov 27, 2012 at 4:21:46 am

Most likely it will work. How well is another story. Try it out before hand and see if it works for you.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:58:40 am

Hello Andrew and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You are presuming that the audio input to the GoPro Hero is mono. From their web site, it appears that the input of the GoPro Hero 2 is stereo. (see below).

Unless you can determine otherwise, your problem is solved. Just get the correct y-cable and use two wireless mics, one into each side of the Y.

if you have trouble finding a y-cable, Eric Toline can make you one. He's quite good at that and has made many for me.

Please be advised, the new GoPro Hero 3 has MUCH better audio than the earlier models. I wouldn't try to "get by" with the audio if you have a Hero 2.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

HD HERO2 Camera Features and Highlights
The new HD HERO 2 Camera is 2x more powerful in every way compared to the original HD HERO. Here are the highlights of the HD HERO2:
Professional 11MP Sensor
2x Faster Image Processor
2X Sharper Glass Lens
Professional Low Light Performance
Full 170º, Medium 127º, Narrow 90º FOV in 1080p
120 fps WVGA, 60 fps 720p, 48 fps 960p, 30 fps 1080p Video
Full 170º and Medium 127º FOV Photos
10 11MP Photos Per Second Burst
1 11MP Photo Every 0.5 Sec Timelapse Mode
3.5mm External Stereo Microphone Input
Simple Language-based User Interface
Wi-Fi BacPac™ and Wi-Fi Remote™ Compatible (coming soon)
Long Range Remote Control of up to 50 GoPro Cameras
Wi-Fi Video/Photo Preview + Playback + Control via GoPro App
Live Streaming Video and Photos to the Web

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:36:43 pm

Im not feeling this?
If youve a zoom, record the audio of both G3s to that on 2 x XLR inputs. Make it all good, with the meters and the monitoring thats the zoom has.
Then use the onboard mic recording of the gopros to provide the sync audio and sync it in the edit.
I have never heard a go pro recording sound anything other than xxx.
Although I was asked by a director tomake a full studio recording sound like a camcorder on a bad day, so i wacked it through a go pro and then back onto the timeline. NOT THAT BAD he said!!!!!
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 28, 2012 at 10:41:23 pm

Peter,

The Hero3 sounds really pretty good. Much better than the 2.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 29, 2012 at 8:19:51 am

Thats good, though like I dont do drugs, I dont do unbalanced easily either.LOL
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Andrew Wright
on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:33:02 pm

So, here's what we did. Obviously, I would love to always use XLR/Balanced, but we had to work with what we had. The GoPro Hero3 (black) did a great job of recording both mics using a stereo mini splitter -- two mono inputs, one stereo output. I bought a couple different types since they had different wiring and one worked, the other didn't.

It's certainly not an ideal situation, but it worked. Unfortunately, we had some issues with the camera crashing but that's a different topic.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Simon Evensen
on May 4, 2015 at 7:38:55 am

I am interested in making one. Does anybody have insight on the wiring? I have tried two regular minijack splitters. One didn't work. The other records both mics to the left channel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]