FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Suite Speaker Options?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Rathgeber
Editing Suite Speaker Options?
on Nov 26, 2012 at 2:40:00 am

I'm rebuilding my editing suite and have been looking around for a while. Most people have suggest the AudioEngine A2 or A5 to me. I like the reviews and the three year warranty. I've also seen the M-Audio AV30 and AV40 monitors which also seem interesting (and more affordable), but reviews make me nervous. Seems like the AudioEngine speakers are a better buy. I'm just wondering if anyone else can off anything else to this. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in here before, but many old posts show links to speakers that have been discontinued, so I thought I'd post a new thread. My budget is around $500, depending on what the speaker has to offer. I edit wedding videos mostly off a MacBook Pro for now, but plan to either buy a Mac Pro or build a hackintosh in the future and use the laptop for same day edits and personal use. We're not so audio-heavy as most of the music we use is pre-recorded/mixed and licensed to us. Most of all, we will have to balance dialogue with the audio. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Editing Suite Speaker Options?
on Nov 26, 2012 at 1:58:52 pm

What you need for editing are speakers that reveal what's in the recorded sound really accurately rather than ones that sound good, so I always go for speakers that are sold as monitors rather than ones with "hifi" pretensions. Also, I would seriously recommend balanced cabling since edit suites (at least, any system more elaborate than a laptop) are notorious for causing interference in unbalanced cables and you need to know that what you're hearing is what's on the recording, not being added in the room (and remember that when choosing a break out box as well).

I don't know the AudioEngine speakers, so I can't comment about them, my current favourites are Genelec (which are probably a bit pricey for your budget), but I'd recommend adding the KRK Rokit (RP5 or RP8) to your shortlist
http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-5.html

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Editing Suite Speaker Options?
on Nov 26, 2012 at 3:04:13 pm

Hello Mark and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I don't know any audio monitors in the $500/pair range that I'd want to sit in front of and make mixing decisions. Mackie 824 are about as low as I want to go.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/496952-REG/Mackie_HR824MKII_HR824mk2_...

They're not "just speakers." You'll be sitting in front of them a long time making critical decisions.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]