FORUMS: list search recent posts

Your opinion on the Audix SCX1 for Indoor Dialog recording for film.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Bibbo
Your opinion on the Audix SCX1 for Indoor Dialog recording for film.
on Nov 21, 2012 at 6:39:25 pm

I know there's not a lot of info on this mic out there.

I'm wondering how the Audix SXC1 would compare to the Sennheiser MKH 50 or the Schoeps MK41 for indoor dialog for film?

Iv'e heard the SXC1 is more similar to the MK41 then the MKH 50 is.

Does you think the SCX1 would be good enough for use in feature films?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Your opinion on the Audix SCX1 for Indoor Dialog recording for film.
on Nov 21, 2012 at 7:07:37 pm

From personal experience with the mic I can say that it is a hidden gem. It sounds about 80% like the Schoeps 641 for 25% of the cost. Not even close to a Sennheiser MKH 50 in reach & sound. Given that the Audix is about $500 it's a no brainer, you won't regret it.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Nick Bibbo
on Nov 22, 2012 at 5:10:37 pm

Wow, so your saying the Audix is very close to the sound of the Schoeps and has much reach and better sound then the Sennheiser MKH 50? Nuts for a $500 mic!

Do you have any recording examples of the mic?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 23, 2012 at 12:30:12 am

No, you're misreading what I wrote. I said it does NOT have the reach or the sound of the MKH 50 but it does have about 80% of the sound of a Schoeps. Neither the Audix or the Schoeps has the reach or the sound of a 50 but that's not a bad thing. It's just different.

Eric

Return to posts index

Nick Bibbo
on Nov 24, 2012 at 1:38:28 am

Ahh gotcha Eric!

Do you have any knowledge of any recording available to listen to?

Return to posts index

Dominic Hadenfeldt
on Nov 25, 2012 at 1:07:34 am

Mr. Toline,

I was getting ready to post a similar question regarding the Audix HC and the MKH-50.

While I haven't tried the Sennheiser, I find that I have to get the Audix in close. It seems to have a wider pattern than some others. Most of my very noobish audio cutting from wide shots to close ups are sometimes jarring in terms of room tone. Would the Sennheiser perhaps be more focused and would this reach help?

I'm struggling with sound perspective but I wonder if this could be minimized a little by the Senny.

Thanks,
Dominic

Return to posts index

Nick Bibbo
on Nov 25, 2012 at 2:00:02 am

What do you think of the Audix Dominic?

Return to posts index

Dominic Hadenfeldt
on Nov 25, 2012 at 4:15:53 am

Hi Nick,

I love it. It sounds crisp and clean, low noise, very detailed. Much better to my ears than an AT 4053b and the other mid priced suspects. But, everyone's opinions and tastes vary. I am really just getting started in location sound.

Dominic

Return to posts index

Nick Bibbo
on Nov 25, 2012 at 3:51:33 pm

Sounds like a great mic Dominic! Do you have any recording samples That I could listen to?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 25, 2012 at 4:36:14 pm

Dominic,

As you've found out the Audix while sounding wonderful has a lower output than alot of other condenser mics so you have to work it closer to the subject to get reasonable level. If you have a good pre-amp for the mic it should be fine. I have both the Audix & the Sennheiser MKH 50 which is my go to mic for every job that calls for a boom mic because it does so many things so well indoors & out. The Audix hypercardioid capsule has a wider pattern than the 50.

Nick,

Sorry but I don't have any examples of the 50 in action as I never keep files of the work I do. OTOH you've heard the 50 in action in movies & TV shows only you didn't know it.

Return to posts index

Dominic Hadenfeldt
on Nov 25, 2012 at 7:16:35 pm

Eric,

Thank you so much for the guidance!

Return to posts index

Terence Morris
on Nov 29, 2014 at 10:07:20 pm
Last Edited By Terence Morris on Nov 29, 2014 at 10:50:04 pm

To Eric / Nick -

Sorry, I know this is an old thread...

I'm about to buy something like the MKH-50, mainly for indoor use. Good reach and low noise is what I'm after. But this supercardioid / hypercardioid labelling is confusing my brain a bit. From what I have read, hypercardioid should have more reach and more off-axis rejection, and yet the MKH-50 is listed as supercardioid, while the Audix SCX1-HC as hypercardioid.

I'm not at all questioning your wisdom on this - just looking for good advice and clarification.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Larry Vaughn
on Jun 4, 2014 at 4:42:15 pm

Which model SCX-one one do you have? They come in Onmi, Cardioid and Hyper Cardioid flavors. The photos I've seen on ebay and even bhphoto frequently show the wrong capsule for the model they are advertising.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]