FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noisy Sennheiser wireless

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Chvatal
Noisy Sennheiser wireless
on Nov 10, 2012 at 4:03:54 pm

I have a Sennheiser G3 series wireless. It came with a lavalier and every once in a while I try to use it to shoot an interview. The problem is the mic cable is so microphonic that its unusable. Any little bit of movement is picked up as noise. And the clip that holds the mic cable is the worst offender.

I used it once for a shoot and was stuck with unusable audio and never used it again...

I wonder if this is normal for this mic or is mine worse than others...(possibly defective). Is there another mic I can plug into this transmitter?

I know its not the best wireless in the world but it ought to at the very least be usable...

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Noisy Sennheiser wireless
on Nov 10, 2012 at 6:20:39 pm

I have not had that issue with my G3 and the Mic that came with it.

I bought a countryman mic to plug into our Lectrosonics and I love that setup. You can get a new mic for it.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 10, 2012 at 7:01:17 pm

Sounds like whatever capsule suspension scheme they used is screwed up.

Nobody designees a sensitive mic element to rattle around like you're describing.

Send it back.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 10, 2012 at 9:08:22 pm

The Sennheiser lav that comes with the wireless is worth exactly what you paid for it, nothing. No one I know uses that lav for anything. There's nothing wrong with the wireless set, get a good mic like a Countryman EMW or a for a bit less, an Oscar Sound Tech lav. Any lav mic can be terminated with the 3.5 mm trs locking connector.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 11, 2012 at 2:58:05 am

Actually, I used the "comes with" omni lavs, the ME-2, lst week in a high school theater with none of the problems you have.

Bad mic or unfortunate mic mounting would be my guess.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Gary Chvatal
on Nov 11, 2012 at 3:14:22 am

Funny...there is no way anybody would stand for using this mic in a stage performance with the noise it makes. I don't think its just mounting that causes the noise...ANY movement along the cable causes noise...

I don't use it that often but I've had it too long to return it...I guess I'll just get another mic to go with this wireless rig so I at least have something usable next time its required...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 11, 2012 at 3:27:31 am

Again,

"Nothing but net" for both of mine and I was mixing the show to camera with my headphones on the entire time. No cable noise.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 14, 2012 at 3:36:39 am

Gary, have you tried wearing headphones out you mixer and holding the lav and then moving it around and seeing if the noise can be isolated. Maybe a bad interconnect? Are the settings in a good range? Maybe the sensitivity is set too high? Or the output level on the receiver? Movement of the cord should not cause this unless the connections are not solid. I would try calling Sennheiser. Even though its out of warranty they might be able to help you out.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 14, 2012 at 3:29:27 am

Though I use countrymans with my G2 and G3 kits, I think the mics that came with the G3s are decent. Certainly usable.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]