FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rode NTG2 w/ Zoom H4n setup/settings advice (for indoor dialogue)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergei Toscani
Rode NTG2 w/ Zoom H4n setup/settings advice (for indoor dialogue)
on Oct 29, 2012 at 8:57:29 pm

Hello,

I've got the Zoom H4N in my hands now and I'm learning very slowly. However I do not have the NTG2 to play with and wont until the day of the shoot (Wednesday).
Ive got a rode videomic but the 3.5mm jack seems to override the built-in mics on the Zoom. So I cant record two tracks at once to test it out.

My setup will be: NTG2 mounted on boom>xlr>Zoom H4N.
Recording narrative dialogue using both the shotgun and the in-built with little ambient noise around.

The help I would love to receive from someone familiar with the kit, is how do I know which mic I am listening to when I plug headphones into the Zoom? Or will it auto give me the external?

I also assume that when the NTG2 is plugged in via xlr, it will be visible on line 1 or 2 of "IN" (where the inbuilts are "mic") in the 4ch setting, the "mode" which has been advised by Peter in this forum previously.

Mono or Stereo? Ive read that dialogue should be recorded in mono. Fine. But in 4CH mode the "Mono" setting does not appear, unless ive been looking at the wrong setting entirely. I dont mind if the Zoom's mics are in mono or stereo.

How do you make sure that the external mic is recording in mono?

Im obviously an absolute beginner when it comes to sound. I know it might become clear when Ive got the NTG2 but it would be great to know more beforehand. I going through the Zoom's manual but the answers might come quicker from someone on here. Sorry for the lack of prep on my part but it is unavoidable.

If someone familiar with the Zoom H4N can give me the correct basic setup (and perhaps input settings) so that I can simply make sure Im recording from all Mics and listening to the right one (the NTG2) on the headphones when testing on the day that would be great help.

Many thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
Re: Rode NTG2 w/ Zoom H4n setup/settings advice (for indoor dialogue)
on Nov 2, 2012 at 3:39:55 pm

You can start by reading the manual.

Peace,

Bob

Return to posts index

Bruno Valdez
Re: Rode NTG2 w/ Zoom H4n setup/settings advice (for indoor dialogue)
on Nov 17, 2015 at 11:46:27 pm

Lol, it's been 3 years now. You managed to do it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]