FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any mic you want!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Prigge
Any mic you want!
on Oct 25, 2012 at 1:10:54 pm

From Antares, the folks who sell Auto-tune software, comes software called Mic Mod EFX. According to their Web site: Using our patented Spectral Shaping Toolâ„¢ technology, we've created precise digital models of a wide variety of historical classic and exotic microphones. Simply tell Mic Mod EFX what microphone you are actually using and what microphone you'd like it to sound like. It's as simple as that.

Sounds intriquing--and of course, too good to be true. But curiosity prompted me to post here. Has anyone ever used this software? Does it work?

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Any mic you want!
on Oct 25, 2012 at 4:32:53 pm

Sounds interesting.
Does it work do you think if i record on a cheapo kareoke djs mic and tell it i want a neuman u87I sound. Thats impressive.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 25, 2012 at 4:38:32 pm

Hello Tom,

I have not heard this particular mic modeler, but I have heard others. They do things with frequency response, harmonic content and other aspects of a signal, but I seem them as mostly a gimmick.

Pure physics and human engineering prevent them from making an SM58 sound like a U 87i.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Oct 31, 2012 at 6:03:12 pm

A guy I used to rock with had a rack mounted effect thingy that would do this very thing to his guitar. He'd pick any guitar and any amp from the selection. To his ears it was uncanny, I couldn't tell any difference.

I suppose this, like anything, would be dependent on the weakest link. If you're workflow up to the point of this effect is up to the task, it'd work. But this software isn't going to be able to make a good recording from a bad mic.

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
Photographer/Videographer | Marketing
22833 SE Black Nugget Road | Issaquah, WA 98029
206.727.5501 x5237
http://www.sanmar.com

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Oct 31, 2012 at 6:18:21 pm

I think that Focusrite at one time had a unit which also claimed to do this. It was intriguing, but I never got a chance to check it out. Now it seems they have moved on to the "Liquid Channel" which mimics classic pre-amps and compressors.

I was always a bit skeptical, but I don't think that it is impossible. Look at how far reverbs have come. Impulse responses from highly desirable rooms have been pretty well modeled in the box. If Antares hasn't got it all figured out just yet, I think someone will within the next few years.

Tech-T Productions
http://www.tech-t.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]