FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio-Technica ATR6550 Hissing?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Burt
Audio-Technica ATR6550 Hissing?
on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:11:08 pm

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to the forums so let me know if I'm out of place here, but I seem to be having a problem with a new shotgun microphone I recently picked up.

I'm an aspiring filmmaker on a budget, and after a few weeks of research on inexpensive shotgun mics I decided to pick up the ATR6550. The demos I saw online made it look like a decent microphone for the price, but I seem to be having a different experience.

I have it plugged directly into my Canon Rebel t2i, and in both "normal" and "tele" mode I'm getting a lot of hissing, white-noise sounds. Below is a link of an audio recording that demonstrates this.

My question is, how can I fix this? I'm leaning towards buying a Zoom H1 so I can have more control over the audio levels, as well as a mono to stereo adapter since I've heard that it's a necessity for this microphone. But do I really need to or is it just a matter of adjusting settings in post? Please keep in mind that I am on a small budget and I'm not looking for the best most expensive audio setup possible - I'm just trying to get by with the bare minimum until I can upgrade or start renting equipment.

Thanks!

Justin

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/Mic%20Test.aac?w=d82b95e1

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Audio-Technica ATR6550 Hissing?
on Oct 24, 2012 at 12:14:44 am

Do you have the AA battery required for power in the mic? If so if there's an on/off switch be sure it's on. BTW your link to your audio sample doesn't seem to work.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Justin Burt
on Oct 24, 2012 at 12:22:01 am

Yes I've tried several different AA batteries and the switch is on.

Sorry for the bad link, here it is again:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86069942/Mic%20Test.aac

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 24, 2012 at 11:51:51 am

Have you tried it on another recorder?

Al

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 24, 2012 at 4:15:27 pm

Sounds like an AGC (Automatic gain control) to me as its pumps up and down in the gaps.
Have you tried it with any auto audio settings OFF.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Justin Burt
on Oct 24, 2012 at 10:32:22 pm

Wow, I just plugged it into my old Windows computer using the basic sound recorder program and the hissing noise seemed to be gone. Does this mean an external recording device such as a Zoom H1 would be the way to capture sound from now on?

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 25, 2012 at 12:38:19 am

I don't remember if my old T2i had AGC or not, but I think it did (the 7D does). As mentioned, that could be the problem. In that case, I believe Magic Lantern software can disable it (check before installing).

Also, if you are going to use that mic, and not return it, then you probably do need to think of going directly into a recorder.It's not that difficult, just more things to remember. I do it all the time.

Another option is to get the new Mixpre-D which has the ability to do what you want, and give you monitoring capability. It's as expensive as your camera though! (G).

Lastly, you can pick up the Rode Videopro Mic, which is a mini shotgun that allows you to throw a switch and bring in a signal that is less likely to have problems, but even that has some hiss.

Best is always sound into a real recorder. Remember, get a recorder that has a 48Hz capability.

Al

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 25, 2012 at 12:35:26 am

Hello Justin and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I know the mic is mono. I believe the camera input is stereo, right?

You can't plug a mono mic into a stereo input. You need some sort of adapter that converts a mono mic plug into one that will feed a stereo input.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Justin Burt
on Oct 25, 2012 at 2:25:02 am

Thanks for all the help guys! I finally figured it out the problem - it was that stupid audio gain control. I went ahead and installed Magic Lantern and disabled the AGC which took care of the problem. I'm glad I can use the money I was going to spend on a new mic or external recording device elsewhere.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 25, 2012 at 6:42:40 am

Does this mean an external recording device such as a Zoom H1 would be the way to capture sound from now on?

Pretty much. If you read back on this forum, youll see that I have a real dislike to any attempt to record audio using DSLR, 3.5mm jacks or Automatic gain controls. That is a 100% NO in my company (where I have the say)
Some people obviously have a better experience with it, or maybe thay cant hear the difference, dont think its an issue, or dont know how to get round it!

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]