FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a way to monitor a 5.1 session as stereo in Pro Tools?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Omar Cruz
Is there a way to monitor a 5.1 session as stereo in Pro Tools?
on Oct 19, 2012 at 7:04:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I should start by saying I'm not much of an audio guy. I mostly do video but I'm mildly competent with audio software. I'm working on a Pro Tools 10 session that was given to me and I can't get the thing to make a sound.

I figured it was an I/O problem so I changed the output from what it was (Some number) into my computer's built in output. This allows me to hear the clips but it also removes all of the 5.1 automation. Not good. My guess would be that Pro Tools requires an audio interface capable of 5.1 to play back the session properly.

Now, if I import a 5.1 file into premiere (Or if I just create a 5.1 timeline), I can play it black without any hardware. It simply plays back stereo. Is there any way to accomplish this inside of Pro Tools?

Thanks,

Omar J. Cruz Rubio
i7 Core Macbook Pro
OSX Snow Leopard

Return to posts index

Omar Cruz
Re: Is there a way to monitor a 5.1 session as stereo in Pro Tools?
on Oct 19, 2012 at 7:36:46 pm

Well, after much tinkering, I found the problem was that all the tracks were routed to a bus that was in turn routed to nothing. It's all working now. Figured I'd post the answer to my dilema for anyone who might stumble into my situation in the future.

Omar J. Cruz Rubio
i7 Core Macbook Pro
OSX Snow Leopard

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 19, 2012 at 8:17:54 pm

If you have a 5.1 file, just create a 5.1 track in a normal pro tools stereo session. Instead of making a stereo track look down the options and selct a 5.1. Then ctrl + drag your embedded 6 channel clip from the region or clip menu to the timeline.
It will populate the 6 tracks and you bus them as you wish. You will need an HD Pro tools to properly do surround work but youre talking about a 6 channel embedded file (which is really jus six mono tracks that live next to each other.)
There is no automation in that file as its a mix??

If you want to bus surround properly youll need a PT HD rig.
Peter
(I read once that there was a work around with non HD rigs using groups but I ve no real idea about that.)

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Omar Cruz
on Oct 21, 2012 at 5:31:33 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response. I think I might've not explained myself correctly. I don't have a 5.1 file. I have a pro tools project with many tracks that have 5.1 automation. I discovered that the reason it wasn't playing back had nothing to do with 5.1 as I initially thought, but rather, it turns out that since the project was being mixed at another facility and they had 5.1 monitoring hardware which I do not have, the outputs on my tracks were disabled. Some software will default to the built-in outputs if no hardware is found. Pro Tools is a bit different I guess. I'm honestly having the hardest time getting to do very simple, every day tasks.

Right now my biggest issue is that I can't seem to select a single clip. I went through several tutorials on the smart tool and the selector and grabber tools but trying to use grabber tool to move a clip only manages to select every clip within the time region of the clip I click on. I know there are three different settings for the grabber tool. Time, separation and object. Time just selects the entire time region. So does separation. Object seems to grab all clips that fit entirely within the time region. There are groups on the project, but the selections don't seem to care what group the clips are on. Is there any other reason why I wouldn't be able to just select one clip?

I tried opening a new project and importing a few clips to run a test and I discovered that the grabber tool works as expected on the simple project. (I also discovered that pro tools won't playback mp3 natively and that it create a converted file in order to import, in actuality, creating a duplicate file. I don't like this, but that's neither here nor there.) The test led me to believe that it must be some setting or some mode or activated thing on the project that is in fact doing this.

It's driving me crazy. I've used, Audition, Logic, Reason, Studio One and Soundtrack Pro and I've never had any difficulty with anything this basic. I know, maybe I should make another thread for this one and getting to complaining too much but any insights on this would be most welcome.

Omar J. Cruz Rubio
i7 Core Macbook Pro
OSX Snow Leopard

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 21, 2012 at 7:59:44 pm

Ok
re
Right now my biggest issue is that I can't seem to select a single clip. I
went through several tutorials on the smart tool and the selector and
grabber tools but trying to use grabber tool to move a clip only manages to
select every clip within the time region of the clip I click on.

go to the groups window (to the left of the mix window and hit suspend all
groups or deslect "ALL") Then use the hand icon (multiple press it to only
have a hand, nothing within the hand) so time selction.
That will select just the region or clip as its now called. (piece of audio)
If you just want to select a portion of a clip, use the selecter tool, drag
left to right over the clip and it will highlight the part . You then need
to put cuts around it. Separate button will do that, or you can trim the
region to the selection (removing the spare ends from the timeline, by Ctrl
T or apple T(for trim)

re
(I also discovered that pro tools won't playback mp3 natively and that it
create a converted file in order to import, in actuality, creating a
duplicate file. I don't like this

This is actually a good thing. means that all audio is contained within
every session. Hard drive space is soo cheap nowadays theres no reason not
to.
There are options you can change in the Import audio dialog box if you must,
but I recommend you "copy" every piece of media so its duplicated every
time.
Pt wants everything neatly in the Audio files folder in the project and it
wants it all in the project audio format (aiff or wav). like i say, thats a
good not bad thing. (Talk to any FCP editor who has had files that were
referenced files that have become moved to see their pain, and the glee in
the eyes of the AVID Media Composer editor who knows that doesnt happen to
them!

Stick with the Pro tools. It can be a steep learning curve but it is far and
away the best. Youll be gald you did in the end.

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Omar Cruz
on Oct 21, 2012 at 11:29:07 pm

THANK YOU! It was so simple! I have some experience with pro tools and I do believe you are right. It is a very feature rich piece of software. (That groups thing for instance is rather useful, even if it stumped me for a while.) I'm definitely sticking to it. It is after all the industry standard.

Omar J. Cruz Rubio
i7 Core Macbook Pro
OSX Snow Leopard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]