FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good Audio Monitors For Editing

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Toplikar
Good Audio Monitors For Editing
on Oct 18, 2012 at 10:25:16 pm

I'm editing a 25-30 min film I recently shot and am looking for some recommendations for audio monitors, as I've never purchased any before. The film involves some live music (vocals & guitar, no drum or bass). I'd like to keep my budget for these around or under $500. Also, my editing room is just an office and hasn't been built or modified for audio editing. I'm going to try to get the film into a few festivals after it's finished, so I'm looking for a good mix that could play well in various theaters. Any and all help/advice/links would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Good Audio Monitors For Editing
on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:06:44 pm

My favourites at the moment would be Genelec 8020 or KRK Rokit RP6 for that kind of situation (and the next size up of each if you can stretch to it).

Come to think of it, it's exactly the kind of thing that the old LS3/5a were great for (non ported = very tolerant of less than ideal acoustic environments), but I don't think you'd get them close to your budget, too many willing to pay much more for them than they're really worth.

No doubt others have their preferences and will hate mine ;-)

Return to posts index

Matthew Toplikar
on Oct 19, 2012 at 4:30:06 pm

Thanks a bunch for the advice, Andrew! I really appreciate it. I'm leaning toward the KRK RP8s at the moment. Looks like they're just in my budget. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 19, 2012 at 6:09:22 pm

HI
You will have to choose your speaker choice, but dont kid yourself into thinking that a $500 set of monitors in a non treated space will sound ANYTHING like any 'theatre'.
Sorry but it wont.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Matthew Toplikar
on Oct 19, 2012 at 6:48:43 pm

Very helpful, Peter. Thank you. Sometimes you just have to do the best with what you have. Are you saying I shouldn't even bother with monitor speakers?

Is there anything you'd suggest to keep in mind as I'm editing?

Also, Is there any reason you spelled "theatre" with an "re" and put it in quotes? Just curious.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 19, 2012 at 8:12:22 pm

Hi Matthew
I do think you should have monitors, but dont expect too much from them if Theatres is the playback environment.

I was just flagging the bit I was quoting
'so I'm looking for a good mix that could play well in various theaters'
I realise we spell theatres differently in the UK and wasnt correcting your spelling or anything like that.
Cheers
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 21, 2012 at 1:58:28 pm

Hello Matthew and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Peter is absolutely right. When the big guys mix audio for film, they mix on a sound stage that replicates the theater experience. to make sure they get the pans, delays and frequency response right.

No, not everybody does this in today's landscape of indy films. But, if you're going to have PB in a theater, you need to pay special attention to the low end when mixing on small speakers. Small speakers don't pass the low end well and if you EQ to get the low end right on small speakers, the sound will likely be way bass heavy in a proper theater.

There may be other inaccuracies in lesser monitors or in placement of them in your space that can trip you up. The only advice I can offer you is to make friends with someone at a theater and have them play your mix during down time. Take notes and go back and correct the mix and try again (until you're happy).

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
on Oct 22, 2012 at 4:06:59 pm

I'll second the JBL LSR2325P You may also want to look at the Genelec 6010 - a bit more than you wanted to spend, but very nice. You should also consider at least some sound treatment to control the worst of your rooms problems; again, more than you wanted to spend, but worth the expense.

Peace,

Bob

Return to posts index

Matthew Toplikar
on Oct 27, 2012 at 2:51:33 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone! I got some of the KRKs and editing has been going good. The sound probably won't turn out as good as some of you folks might be able to do, but this was a huge step forward for me. Really appreciate all your advice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]