Any pro advice on fixing this sound would be greatly appreciated

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Adamson
Any pro advice on fixing this sound would be greatly appreciated
on Oct 14, 2012 at 8:41:36 pm

Hello
A lavier mic went bad and gave this audio

unfortunately it was a last minute live shoot of the presenter and I was not able to stop the proceedings to fix it - so I am stuck with this sound... but it is terrible and it needs some post production work.

I seem to have isolated the vocal hiss / crackle to about 6000-8000Mhz range and can remove it sort of - but I am not happy with my final results - I get easier distortion and the sound is not quite right (but maybe I have spent way too much time now obsessing obsessing over it - so any advice as to what the best result can realistically be would be gratefully appreciated)

I have tried with Media Composer EQ 3 -7 Band (goodish) Adobe Audition 1.5 Hiss removal and EQ changes (not too bad) and Audacity (no luck) and Izotope (no luck)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Neil

Neil
Effective Video
http://www.effectivevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Any pro advice on fixing this sound would be greatly appreciated
on Oct 14, 2012 at 10:42:13 pm

Aside from the dull sound of the track it sounds ok. Anything you can do to add back some intelligability would help to understand the presenter. Perhaps a boost in the 3-5khz would help.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Oct 15, 2012 at 2:40:49 am

The hash about 1/2 way through is RF interference caused by some other device nearby, or an RF drop out.
What sort of radio mic system are you using?
Is a diversity or NON diversity receiver?
Did you do a frequency scan?
What frequency are you transmitting on?

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:40:40 pm

You can hear radio mic problems all the way through, and a couple of bad rf splats.
I cant understand why you didnt stop and correct.
Were you wearing headphones?
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 15, 2012 at 2:08:44 pm

Hello Neil and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Guys, I'm sure Neil has beaten himself up with monday morning quarterbacking and shoulda, woulda, couldas.

Yes, rf interference. This can happen if the person is wearing a smart phone. You don't know that until you hang the mic on them and bring up the fader. I do hear some of the breakup inbetween words. Maybe you could paste some room tone in to cover them up.

I don't know if spectral restoration in Izotope would help or not.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 15, 2012 at 3:02:49 pm

Hi Ty
Although Ive had limited time, I have tried with Izotope rx and havent been able to dent it (in a positive way)
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Neil Adamson
on Oct 25, 2012 at 11:17:09 am

Hello

Thanks everyone for the replies - a few things here:
I was wearing headphones but it was a live recording, we were asked to record it at last minute and were not allowed to interrupt the presentation. We also had to set up between presentations and had about 20 minutes to get cameras, lights and sound in place - the room also had a projector running and aircon - so alternative audio feeds were not clean at all

My big mistake was not to get a second mic placed on the podium and to feed in the second channel on the camera from there.
(Well I did but the cable plug was faulty and I was not getting sound into that channel so switched both channels to the wireless lavier mic)

The dreadful audio hiss appears to disappear when the speaker is quiet and is really noticeable when he speaks - so I don't think it is radio interference - in fact it appears that the mic is faulty as I tested it in other cameras back at the studio and it does the same thing constantly now . It is not all that noticeable through an amp or mixing board so is going to be a bugger to fix! FWIW I have taken it in to the local AKG reseller to look at

After many hours of trying - I managed to get it to be sort of acceptable by first applying a light hiss removal in Audition 1.5, then reimporting into MC6 and applying a Real Time 7 channel; equaliser effect and dropping the 800Mhz (?) range - I am not at my workstation so this may not be entirely correct

Anyway it is listenable - but no means perfect

Thanks for all the input
Cheers
Neil

Neil
Effective Video
http://www.effectivevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 25, 2012 at 1:34:12 pm

Hello Neil,

I think this points up the importance of what happens with too much distributed attention, e.g. When your eyes, ears, brain and body get spread too thin.(ly).

If you had another person on the crew with some audio chops, he/she might have prevented the mistake.

It's always challenging to make your way from the bottom of the aquarium to the top. Somewhere, at some point, you need to add qualified people to make the magic happen. I think this was one of those times.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]