FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lavalier advice

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diana McCoy
Lavalier advice
on Oct 5, 2012 at 6:20:53 pm

Can I get some advice on lavalier kits? I am very new to video production and using a Canon XHA1s. I am shooting indoors in an office setting and also outside at construction sites. I need something that would work well for both environments in focusing on the speaker's voice and cutting down on the background noise. I am looking at Sennheiser, Shure, and Audia Technica. I see that the price range between the Sennheiser and Shure are very similar, but the Audia Technica is a lot cheaper. I have been told that Audia Technica does make a good lavalier kit, but I am skeptical because of the price. If it truly is a good lav, why would one spend several hundred dollars more for Sennheiser or Shure? I appreciate any advice I can get!

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Lavalier advice
on Oct 5, 2012 at 11:01:02 pm

Is the video shoot for Broadcast or in house training?
Sennheiser / Shure are often regarded as BASE / Bottom level for Lav. mics.
Just remember that mics aren't clever, they pickup air movement (sound).... that's what they do, go to a noisy environment they will pick up the wanted sound as well as the unwanted sounds.
Most mics will deliver good sound if they are used properly, fitted correctly, have adequate wind protection etc.
A bad mic used well, will deliver better results than the best mic used poorly, and like with ALL things in life 'you get what you pay for'

Return to posts index

Diana McCoy
on Oct 6, 2012 at 1:55:41 am

This is definitely NOT for broadcast. My videos will be for YouTube. As a base level lav, would you say that Audia Technica would serve my purpose just as well as a Sennheiser?

Return to posts index

David C Jones
on Oct 8, 2012 at 3:05:29 am

Hi Diana,

It's really more about the model of mic than the brand; Sennheiser makes high-end lav mics as well as less expensive ones.

Given your situation, I would recommend getting a lav mic that has a cardioid pickup pattern. It will reject more background noise. And as Brian said, placement is more important than the mic itself.

Best,

Dave J

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 12, 2012 at 4:17:38 am

I think not. The G3 kit from Sennheiser is a very good starting point for a lav kit. You can go higher but start at this price point. First the sound is sweeter and more natural than lower priced kits. You’ll be more likely to find a channel in a given location that is not picking up interference. It is easier to hide and mount on talent. It is rugged and field-tested. I would also consider a mixer from sound devices.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/764543-REG/Sound_Devices_MIXPRE_D_Mix...

You can get very good pictures from decent consumer level cameras if you give them enough light or just shoot in good light. But working with cheap audio gear creates an end product that is just annoying to listen too.

And one more thing: monitor with a good set of monitoring headphones.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/49510-REG/Sony_MDR_7506_MDR_7506_Head....

No question audio requires some skill that comes with experience. But with a good mixer you can watch the meters and with good headphones you can hear what is being recorded and with a good mike you stand a chance of recording something your audience will enjoy.

I think you should consider investing as much in your audio gear as you do in your visual.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]