FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio noise issues

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wesley Volschenk
Audio noise issues
on Sep 28, 2012 at 11:06:05 am

I have recently completed a reality series that had 12 people on radio transmitters, with 4 sound mixers each with a boom feed.
Since I am in post now, I have found muffled audio and lots of background noise, chitter chatter, hum from vehicles when shooting while traveling, city noise and other over powering background noise.
When my sound engineer tries to lift the dialogue the background noise is getting louder or the dialogue starts sounding like it has digital noise.
I unfortunately do not know enough to know weather or not this is able to be cleaned up.

Is my audio doomed?

samples http://www.sendspace.com/file/k17uzl

Director
Cooked In Africa Films
http://www.cookedinafrica.com

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Audio noise issues
on Sep 29, 2012 at 2:42:55 am

Track 1. It sounds like a mix of many tracks... I doubt any one could unscramble that.....
Track 2. Seems to be recorded at a very low level.

Please explain more about the recording process, was it a case of a radio mic placed on each of the talent and ISO recorded with out monitoring?

Was a 'Hot' mix done and were these problems evident on that track/s?

Many people just getting into multi mic shoots just record everything at once and then 'TRY and fix it in post' The better way is to actually do a VERY good live mix of the talent knowing you have ISO tracks to fix up any minor errors.
Just placing a mic on everyone and recording each as an individual ISO track and then doing a poor crash mix is such a bad way of doing things as inevitably the audio is never monitored for quality......just the meters are watched to see if they are going up and down.
This sounds like what you have in the first track you posted, where did you get the audio you posted from?
What dollar savings you try and make in the original shoot will come back to bite you if you try and think things can be fixed in post production.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Sep 29, 2012 at 9:13:21 pm

For me Brian, speaking as a dubbing mixer in post studio, I would NOT thank you for a mix, good or bad. I want everything multitracked and separate, sounding great, at the right level, with enough trained And competent personnel to make sure I get it. Nothing less will do.
I agree there should be a live mix too but that's a scratch track for the edit only.
Just because some people try and fail to get it right doesn't change the optimum route for me.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Sep 30, 2012 at 7:55:01 am

Have to agree Peter,
I recently completed 10 episodes of a 1/2 hr children's prank / reality show the directive from the production company was ALL tracks to be ISO recorded, with backups on the 3 main cameras (IE. cam 1 got track 1 / 2, Cam 2 got 3 /4, Cam 3 got tracks 5/6)
On the 16 channel hard disc recorder, 1-6 were ISO radio mics (with backups to the cameras)7-14 were ISO additional mics + ISO FX mics, 15 - 16 was a full 'Hot' stereo program mix. I wasn't involved in the post production process.

That's what they wanted... That's what was delivered, and it sounded great on air.

Return to posts index

Wesley Volschenk
on Oct 2, 2012 at 12:25:45 pm

Thank you all for your inputs. It is clear to me that this issue started at the shooting of the show. There is a second season of this show on the cards and I was hoping you could advise me what measures I could put in place to avoid similar issues?

I have 30 contestants, which is essentially 15 teams of two
three judges and one presenter.

Director
Cooked In Africa Films
http://www.cookedinafrica.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]