FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio is too thin

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brenden masar
Audio is too thin
on Sep 21, 2012 at 3:19:57 am

I've been working on a corporate video and I'm having trouble with the voices of my subjects sounding too thin. I'm not very experienced with Audacity, but my attempts at boosting the bass and using amplify but they haven't yielded good results.

I'm hoping someone here can help me by giving me some advice about which filter(s) will help me add more meat to the peoples' voices.

Audio is here: 4684_interviews12.aif.zip

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Audio is too thin
on Sep 21, 2012 at 4:22:38 am

Just a few questions first...

What sort of mic did you use?
How far away was that mic from the person talking?

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Sep 21, 2012 at 7:00:37 am

HI
I have listened to your file.

In my opinion, its not that the sound is too thin necessarily. There are lo frequencies present, but the recording suffers from

1) Too much distance. The mic is not near enough to the speaker
2) To much ambience. mic is picking up a lot of room reflections in addition to the direct sound. This makes it sound a little "boxy"
3) To lively a room. The acoustic of the room is poor. Hard, reflective, parallel walls make it too lively a space.
4) Poor amplitude. The recording levels are very low. Merely turning up the signal in a desk will also raise the room and bg noise with it so yes the voice will be louder but everything else will increase.

Clearly as there are no pictures, Im guessing that these things are all contributing in a negative way for you.

In summary, i dont think theres much can be done as removing reverb is not something Im aware is possible at the moment.(If anyone knows different please send me the details and Ill be very happy)

Is re recording a possibility.
If so get these things right
1) location. look at the space and get one with plenty of soft furnishings, carpet and a less bouncy space.
2) Get a quality mic in close.
3) Look closely at your record levels.
4) Forget the viewfinder. Put on the headphones.

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 21, 2012 at 11:44:00 am

Peter,

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I know Brendan appreciates it.

There is De-Verb, an SPL plugin. I've tried it and my response is, "not so much."

I have tried a lot of things to "de-roomify" a track. None with much luck.

George Massenburg designed a multi-band noise reduction filter for Disney a number of years ago that actually could reduce some reverb. It was a very special 6 band expander with other attributes.

Digidesign's BNR has a lot more than six expanders. You might fiddle around with that, but no guarantees.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Sep 21, 2012 at 1:21:51 pm

"In summary, i dont think theres much can be done as removing reverb is not something Im aware is possible at the moment.(If anyone knows different please send me the details and Ill be very happy)"

This appears to be the state of the art these days...
http://www.zynaptiq.com/unveil/videos/

But, of course a $400 (or $4000) plug-in after the fact can NEVER yield results that you would get by simply recording it properly in the first place.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 21, 2012 at 1:27:33 pm

Richard,

I tried it for that particular purpose but was not impressed.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

brenden masar
on Sep 21, 2012 at 6:03:07 pm

Hey all, thanks for the responses. I'm not sure if those that listened to the audio listened all the way through to the end.

The first four segments (first :48 or so) were recorded at a different site than the rest of the track (:50 to the end) so it has reverb that isn't present in the rest of the audio. In both instances, the mic was within 2-2.5 feet of the speakers' chests. Since it was my first time using the mic in the field (Azden SGM-2X) I had to use a pre-amp, which was hooked up incorrectly. : (((((

Anywho, just to clear up my original question, I'm not that concerned about the reverb of the first speaker. I know there's nothing that can be done about that. Plus there is a music track that plays underneath that mitigates some of the audio problems.

What I'm mostly concerned about is that the voices have no "authority" for lack of a better word. I'd just like to beef up their voices.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Sep 22, 2012 at 2:16:36 am

I had to go check what the Azden mic was because it sure sounds like a stereo mic especially on the first voice. There is no center audio image only lots of Left & Right. The other voices have the same L/R issue but are not as strong as the 1st.

I don't know if the mic was on a boom pole or camera mounted, either way it was too far from the sound source. Good luck in post, you have your work cut out for you.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 22, 2012 at 3:04:03 am

That's a mono mic.

http://www.azdencorp.com/new/product.php?productid=93299

Brenden, what camera did you use and what sort of cable?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Sep 22, 2012 at 10:54:08 am

Problem solved..... The track sounds GREAT.

The problem is that the LEFT track is 180 Deg out of phase to the RIGHT channel.
Either just use the LEFT track OR the RIGHT track but NOT BOTH.

I have just dropped it into an editing program and inverted one of the channels and hey presto.... a very nicely recorded track

I bet the original poster of the thread used an 'off the shelf' cable incorrectly wired.

Probably XLR pin 1 to shield of a 3.5 plug, Pin 2 to tip of the 3.5mm and pin 3 to the ring of the 3.5mm plug.
The mic having a balanced O/P a positive signal will go to LEFT channel and a negative signal will be going to the RIGHT channel.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 22, 2012 at 11:38:21 am

Brian,

Yeah, that's where I was going with my last question.

Good for you.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Sep 22, 2012 at 12:41:33 pm

Just playing with the track some more, the best 'fullest' sound is achieved by 180 deg phase reversing (inverting) the right channel and adding it to the left to give a mono track.
By just using LEFT or RIGHT the signal sounds still a little thin.

Return to posts index

brenden masar
on Sep 22, 2012 at 8:09:44 pm

Brilliant Brian, thank you so much!

I ended up inverting the left track. Did you notice panning fully to the left or right yielded slightly different pitches? The mic must've been angled a bit right to left so that the right channel was more exposed and picked up slightly fuller sound.

The audio sounded good in the field through my headphones so I was hoping it was a post fix that an expert like yourself would identify much more easily than me.

I will have to contact Azden directly to make sure I end up with the proper XLR cables. Interestingly, I did some research before buying online but I guess I still ended up with poor advice.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Sep 23, 2012 at 1:18:09 am

Brenden it might not be Azdens manufacturing problem as they are probably getting in the cables from an independent manufacturer.
What may not be suitable for you might work well for someone else.

There seems to be a problem world wide with the industry, every one has assumed just because because plug A fits into socket A and plug B fits into socket B every thing will work without worrying about the actual connection points.
The 'art' of custom DIY cable making is fading fast and will be a problem for future Audio / Video people. On many threads how often have you seen 'where can I buy one of those cables?'

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Sep 23, 2012 at 6:21:41 pm

You can buy any custom audio interconnect from me. Contact: audioetc@bellsouth.net or 954-255-7628. You get discuss your specific requirements with the person who will make it. 20 years experience making just about every interconnect you can think of.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Sep 23, 2012 at 9:16:01 pm

I wish id been at work when i downloded and listened to it now. my ears and meters would have flagged an out of phase recording staright away, but at home on a pc didnt give me the right monitoring.
solution
protools and some genelecs at home. been waiting for an excuse.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]