FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shopping for a Good Lavalier Mic?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Jeschke
Shopping for a Good Lavalier Mic?
on Sep 19, 2012 at 8:31:41 pm

I shoot a lot of videos where I'm either (1) inside my office talking or (2) outside talking.

Typically I use my Olympus LS10 PCM recorder's built in microphone zoomed in on me. However, it's not ideal. I'd prefer to have a lavalier mic attached my my shirt.

I'm shopping for them here but there's about a billion of them. Just curious are they all about the same? I'd prefer it has a mini windscreen and or pop filter on top as well.

Which ones have you guys used and what do you recommend? Thanks!!!

PS. Sorry if I've posted something that was already there. I've been searching forum but haven't found anything with a direct recommendation.

I'm learning the ropes of online publishing. Mostly as an excuse to play with more cameras.

Here's several of my latest ventures,
http://www.keystoaz.com
http://www.fitlish.com
http://www.corvettemedic.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Shopping for a Good Lavalier Mic?
on Sep 19, 2012 at 9:36:57 pm

Hello Matthew and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Lavs by Countryman (EMW and B6), Sanken (COS-11) and Tram (TR50) will serve you well.

Sony ECM 77B, 88B

Audio Techinca: AT AT803B, AT898, AT899 & BP896.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Matthew Jeschke
on Sep 19, 2012 at 10:06:19 pm

Hey thanks! I'm looking at these here and they seem a bit pricey for what I'm doing.

However, it does raise another question... Are most all lavalier mics omnidirectional? Is there a reason for that?

I'd like to avoid getting a ton of background noise. Partly why I was looking at them. I'm also assuming omnidirectional means it pics up noise in all directions?

I'm learning the ropes of online publishing. Mostly as an excuse to play with more cameras.

Here's several of my latest ventures,
http://www.keystoaz.com
http://www.fitlish.com
http://www.corvettemedic.com

Return to posts index

hemant agarwal
on Aug 13, 2016 at 11:01:26 pm

Ty,
Are you sure that ecm-77 will work with Olympus ls-10 ?
I have an ecm-77 (Output impedance : 150Ω )and an ecm-44 ( impedance : 250Ω) lav both with a TA5F connector . I have a tascam dr-22wl (input impedance 2.5k ohm) and (buying soon) an olympus ls-11 (input impedance 2k ohm) recorder .

I was thinking of cutting off the TA5f connector and putting in a 3.5mm connector instead on the lavs to be used with the recorders.

Was just wondering if the signal from the lavs will be loud enough, whether I might face impedance mismatch or if I might face some other problems

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 18, 2016 at 12:38:38 pm

Hello Hemant,

No, I am not. Those mics I mentioned are all good lavs, but there's no mention in the Olympus 11 config about bias voltage or phantom power requirements.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

hemant agarwal
on Aug 18, 2016 at 7:23:55 pm

Hey Ty..The Olympus Ls-11 similar to pcm-m10 gives out 3v bias voltage via a 3.5mm ..

It does not give out phantom power..Do you think that my ecm-77 and ecm-44 will work fine with it ? I presently use these lavs with an Audio Technica U100 transmitter receiver ( http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wls_systems/343f7d7ae3a806e6/ )

Do you think that if I connect one of these lavs to the Olympus ls-11 after replacing the TA5f connector with a 3.5mm one, then it will work fine ?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 18, 2016 at 9:31:49 pm

How about the Audio Technica MT830c?

I ran it with the U100 series here. I had eric Toline make me a small adapter cable for my Sennheiser G2/G3 wireless.

TA5F to 1/8"

No problem.

You can find him at......audioetc@bellsouth.net

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Sep 19, 2012 at 10:15:49 pm

I'm not exactly sure whether you are talking about casual recording (verbal notes) or whether you are asking about using this for video production?

While the microphones suggested by Mr. Ford are all well-respected models, remember that your recorder appears to have only 3.5mm mic input jack, so microphones terminated in XLR connectors won't work.

There are any number of small (and inexpensive) clip-on lav mics that you could use, including one recommended by Olympus for your model...

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-145045-ME-15-Microphone/dp/B000815CF4/ref=pd_...

Also on Amazon, I saw several similar clip-on lav mics selling for one cent(!) Any microphone designed for plugging into a computer will also work with your recorder (except that typically it will record on the left channel only).

Most lav mics are omnidirectional because they use the principle of PROXIMITY to improve the signal-to-noise ratio. The laws of physics prevent making a microphone directional at very low frequencies when the physical size is smaller than the wavelength of the sound wave.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 20, 2012 at 12:05:25 am

LOVE the Sanken COS-11D. It's a splurge but worth every penny. Like having a high definition pro camcorder for voice. :)

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Sep 20, 2012 at 12:59:26 am

The DPA 4060 is fast becoming the favored lav mic in the pro community. Combine that with Audio Ltd 2040 wireless and you'll think you're in audio heaven.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Karen Pouye
on Sep 24, 2012 at 11:17:54 am

I am recording in a studio that is not sound proof so I am looking for a lapel mic that will pick up the LEAST background sounds.
We used a Sony UWP -C1 Wireless kit which worked very well, but I'd prefer a wired mic.
I've heard that the Sony ECM 55b (a proximity mic) is good for this. Can anyone recommend anything else?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 24, 2012 at 5:13:02 pm

Hello Karen,

Cardioid lavs are made, and are more directional than omni lavs, but you have to be a lot kore careful with placement.

The Sony you mention is good, but the SOny 77B and 8B are also good.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Karen Pouye
on Sep 28, 2012 at 8:32:55 pm

Thanks Ty Ford. I was looking at the 77b (I can actually get it cheaper than the 55b and it's smaller) but I was told it was "transparent" meaning that it picks up more background sound.
I was using the Sony UWP C1 kit and strangely, it was perfect in that it picked up no other noise but the speaker. These are very hard to get now as they have been replaced by the UWP V1 which may not be as good for my purpose. (BTW I live in Australia so the C1 is legal here).

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 28, 2012 at 9:56:10 pm

Hello to Down Under Karen,

"Transparent" may mean something different below the equator. Up here it means "doesn't interfere with the sound much."

Most lavs are omni. As such, they hear from all directions and ore high frequencies from whatever teh diaphragm is aimed at, regardless of make, model, gender preference or color.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]