FORUMS: list search recent posts

Plural Eyes

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Watson
Plural Eyes
on Sep 14, 2012 at 6:25:47 am

I was checking out Plural Eyes and even Dual Eyes based on a reply to a previous post, and it seems like a really good piece of software for post production of video + audio. However, does it only work when the camera(s) have built-in audio? Because it seems to me that if you're using a DSLR plus separate audio feed (whether it's a live event, film shoot, etc.), Plural/Dual Eyes can be used since the DSLR has a built-in mic. But if you're using a high-end pro camera (such as a RED) which doesn't typically have a built-in camera, you are going to have to set up a dual-audio feed just to utilise Plural/Dual Eyes. And that seems like an extra cost. Anyone have any experience with this? What if I have clips from a camera that doesn't have built-in audio? Can I still use Plural Eyes on those clips? Or do I have to manually sync?

David H. Watson
dEhiN Entertainment

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Plural Eyes
on Sep 14, 2012 at 1:42:23 pm

You have it exactly right. Plural Eyes works by matching the two audio wave forms, one from the camera audio and one from the out board recorder. In the case of cameras that dont have built in microphones you would have to feed them audio by either a hard wire feed from a mixer or a wireless feed. I don't know enough about Plural Eyes to comment on the other aspects of the program regarding manual syncing requirements.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 15, 2012 at 12:43:42 pm

Hello David and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

When I first got PluralEyes, I tested it by rolling my Canon XL2 and an inexpensive Olympus while I played audio from my system in the studio. So, identical audio but recorded by two separate mics in the same environment. I even walked around with the Olympus during recording.

I had to use the "try harder" mode but it worked. This was the original release of PluralEyes. I think things have actually improved since then. I couldn't use both audio tracks due to phase cancellation, but they were synced.

I also did an "exact same audio" test and both tracks did sync with no cancellation.

YMMV,

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 15, 2012 at 11:54:13 pm

David,

Also be aware that as NLEs continue to evolve, there's a trend to build these capabilities inside the software.

This is the case with FCP-X where largely the same post track-syncing capability exists inside the program.

The reason I bring it up is that in the Apple implementation, while waveform matching is the default, they also have a tiered approach where if an audio waveform isn't available, the program will look for other possible sync references such as timecode or user inserted markers to match double system audio with the visuals.

Pluraleyes is a fine piece of software and I used it for nearly a year before I migrated to FCP-X. But since then, I haven't used it for months.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

David Watson
on Sep 16, 2012 at 1:35:04 am

Thanks all for your replies. I'm going to check out the trial version with a funeral service I have been putting off editing. The footage is from 3 different cameras (2 camcorders and 1 dslr) - 2 of which have audio - and a full audio wav file recorded from the church's sound system.

David H. Watson
dEhiN Entertainment

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 16, 2012 at 3:58:56 am

Hello David,

Please drop back in and let us know how that works for you.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 17, 2012 at 6:31:41 pm

It works like a charm as long as all cameras have gotten decent enough audio levels to be matched.

I have a trick I use outdoors to guarantee this. I gaff tape a walkie-talkie to each camera near its built-in mic. Then I call out over the radio- the scene number and take at the start of each shot just after the camera rolls. This has worked 100% for sync in post for me. And it also helps with organization in post because you hear a very clear audio slate for each shot. :) I picked up this set of 3 walkies for a recent shoot for $83= dirt cheap & perfect sync.

Motorola MH230TPR Giant Rechargeable Two Way Radio 3 Pack, FRS/GMRS

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 17, 2012 at 6:45:47 pm

Noah,

"I love it when a plan comes together." reference: The A-Team, Hannibal Smith.

Thanks again for all of your great responses!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Creative Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Oct 16, 2012 at 8:07:25 pm

I have been using Plural Eyes for a while, love it. As long as you can hear the scratch track in camera, you are set. I like the walke technique! Have not needed to sync from a long distance yet, but that would be a great tip.

M

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]